DME only stout?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmandan

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
Getting ingredients where i live is next to impossible! i can order online from abroad but it costs a ton! Now what i want to ask is could i make a decent stout from just dark DME with hops yeast and then a bit extra OF MY OWN LIKE VANILA OR CHOCOLATE?

plz help !

Yes i can.All i can get locally is light DME and a few hop sorts. I have to order from Singapore.
I was just wondering if it was possible to do it with DME only as i would get more material shipped for less price. THE shipping cost cost more then the product!

Yes i can.All i can get locally is light DME and a few hop sorts. I have to order from Singapore.
I was just wondering if it was possible to do it with DME only as i would get more material shipped for less price. THE shipping cost cost more then the product!

You are going to struggle to make a stout with light DME and a few hop sorts! So I guess you need to make pale beers or order from Singapore. In which case, either buy kits or get a load of light DME and a order a variety of steeping grains. Or can you get grain where you are? You can roast malted grains to make crystal, amber, brown malt, chocolate malt. Or unmalted barley to make roast barley. Or wheat, or other grains, possibly.

To answer the question, you could make a basic stout with dark DME and hops (it would be more like a porter tbh), but if you need to order dark DME you may as well buy gear to do a better job.

Great thanks a lot! ill just have to buy the kit then! I have picked the worst country to live in to start a hobby like this!

Coming back on the light DME... The hops available are cascade,columbus and simcoe i wouldn't have an idea what to do with them could this make a descent light beer?

Every things much appreciated!

Well, some good news - those are three great hops! Very versatile too. You could make a great lght beer, or dark beer, or in between.

I would look at getting hold of some kind of grain. Let us know what you can get. You may be able to roast some type of grain and make a variety of beer types including stout. Without having to order anything from abroad.

And where are you?!!!

Ah cool! i live in Indonesia, yeah I've tried looking for specialty grain because i was thinking the same but unfortunately i can't find anything. :(

My plan now is to order the kit online and brew with the light stuff while i wait! just need more research!

I'm wondering if there's any kind of grain you could experiment with. There must be some sort of grain in Indonesia.

And there must be some compensations to living in Indonesia. Sounds idyllic, from Old Trafford.

so far I've found this recipe,

7 lbs light DME
1 oz (60 min) columbus
2 oz (10 min) cascade
2 oz (0 min) cascade/simcoe
Safale US-05

Latest posts

Back