Condor Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Condor Pale Ale

This was my first AG brew which I did in March this year, and is based on Bathams Best Bitter from Graham Wheeler's book.

4.5 kg Maris Otter
14g Northdown 90 mins
25g Fuggles 90 mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins
9g Goldings post boil for 30 mins

12.5 l mash @ 64°C
20 l sparge @ 85°C

S-04 pitched at 24°C. OG 1.046

5 day primary. Racked into secondary. 10 days. FG 1.006. Beersmith estimated 4.6% but my measurements put it at 5+, assuming my efficiency was 70ish%. The OG was spit on, so the efficiency wouldn't have been too far out.

Racked into KK for 4 weeks conditioned at 16°C.

Bottle conditioned with 80g sugar for 8 weeks.

First impressions were I didn't need the priming sugar.

Other than that it remains my best AG to date (I've done 5 now that are fully conditioned).

Very pale, with a slight nutty, slightly caramel makt taste with a delicate hop aroma.

Your low FG took it over 5%.

Yeah, I meant to type 5+%.

The estimated FG was 1.009, so what would make it ferment out lower? Less unfermentables? Which I presume would result from a lower mash temp?

It's not an issue because it tasted fantastic, I just like to know the science behind the numbers

Yeah, I meant to type 5+%.

The estimated FG was 1.009, so what would make it ferment out lower? Less unfermentables? Which I presume would result from a lower mash temp?

It's not an issue because it tasted fantastic, I just like to know the science behind the numbers

Maybe low mash temperature, maybe the fact you only used Maris Otter, possibly a combination of the two.

Agreed. Those low mash temps would do it. Would your 85c sparge not pull some tannins through? I normally sparge around 76c. Mash at 67-68c ideally. It's all down to taste though, and if you like it then crack on!

Just checked and the tank was heating to to 85 so the sparge was probably at 79. This being my first AG I was also calibrating the equipment. I now mash at 66 and sparge at 77-79

Update with photos

IMAG0872.jpg

IMAG0873.jpg

IMAG0874.jpg

IMAG0875.jpg

IMAG0876.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

IMAG0878.jpg

Back