One for the Scots.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nicola Sturgeon has launched a "new conversation" on independence as she urged Scotland to "control its own destiny".
In a speech in Stirling, Ms Sturgeon acknowledged that choosing independence would be a "big decision" in the wake of the Brexit vote.
She said there would be many issues for people to weigh up, and she did not presume the case has yet been won.
But she said it was right to keep the possibility on the table.
Opposition parties have urged Ms Sturgeon to focus on her "day job" of running Scotland, arguing she should be looking to improve public services such as education and the NHS instead of pushing for independence.

Read more here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37250448

Only a 10% margin last time, do our Scottish members see it ending differently if there is another vote?

A referendum on Scottish independence took place on 18 September 2014. The independence referendum question, which voters answered with "Yes" or "No", was "Should Scotland be an independent country?" The "No" side won, with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour.

She will have a hard job convincing scots to go it alone when her principal argument for a prosperous Scotland was the booming north Sea oil! There is a theory that the Scottish governments push to scrap trident is to open up the supposed massive oil reserve off the west coast which can't be touched due to the movement of traffic in and out of faslane. The reason that the government bought prestwick airport for a pound, even though it was failing, was to future proof it in the event of a yes vote so that personnel could be choppered on and off the oil platforms that would inevitably pop up once trident was scrapped. If this theory (not mine) turned out to be true then maybe there is some money left in oil but otherwise she has a heck of a job selling an independent Scotland to us. IMHO.

She will have a hard job convincing scots to go it alone when her principal argument for a prosperous Scotland was the booming north Sea oil! There is a theory that the Scottish governments push to scrap trident is to open up the supposed massive oil reserve off the west coast which can't be touched due to the movement of traffic in and out of faslane. The reason that the government bought prestwick airport for a pound, even though it was failing, was to future proof it in the event of a yes vote so that personnel could be choppered on and off the oil platforms that would inevitably pop up once trident was scrapped. If this theory (not mine) turned out to be true then maybe there is some money left in oil but otherwise she has a heck of a job selling an independent Scotland to us. IMHO.

By the time Trident is renewed and runs out again then maybe , just maybe, is cancelled I think oil will be a thing of the past and probably not worth the investment at all. Wee Jimmy will be gone by then.

I was more open to independence in the aftermath of Brexit, but they REALLY need to convince me on the finance/economy side of things. The financials in the last White Paper were mince, and we've just announced a £15Bn deficit. Add the fact I monitor budgets for a living and I'll probably be quite difficult to convince unless they are spot on.

Last time around I didn't vote because mine and SWMBO's votes would have cancelled out. Next time will be voting to leave so there's two more.

I've met many people who voted no in the referendum on independence, who now say they'd vote for independence in a future vote.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The clue is in the title, no brexit (I hate that word) discussion.

I have this morning removes approximately 10 posts from this thread.

This includes discussion about Theresa May.

The thread title is - One for the Scots.

For me, my no vote in 2014 was based quite heavily on the lack of confirmation about Scotland's eu membership (would we maintain our current deal within Europe or would we have to negotiate as a new member country?).
As a no voter I didn't fully understand the desire to leave the UK but then remain part of the Europe.

But being part of Europe (ideally with our current deal - lots of the benefits/responsibilities but no euro) is still a key issue for me. If/when the UK leaves the EU, I want to know how Scotland is placed for joining/remaining as part of the EU upon an independence vote. Knowing that (and some clear economic plans...) will move me towards a yes vote.

I'd prefer to remain in the UK (and we all try to improve our futures together) but it is going to take some incredible negotiations for me to feel the UK is better off outside the EU.

Pretty sure I avoided the B word...

I voted yes simply because I believe that every country has the right to determine their own affairs in the world. Whichever way we vote we get a tory government every time.

Yeah we got a war criminal that time.

I have this morning removes approximately 10 posts from this thread.

This includes discussion about Theresa May.
Why?
The thread title is - One for the Scots.

Yes mate but my answer to your question was based around the current PM
The jurys still out for a lot of us
It would be a majority no again
I would still say yes
I am a Scot 😀

For me, my no vote in 2014 was based quite heavily on the lack of confirmation about Scotland's eu membership (would we maintain our current deal within Europe or would we have to negotiate as a new member country?).
As a no voter I didn't fully understand the desire to leave the UK but then remain part of the Europe.

But being part of Europe (ideally with our current deal - lots of the benefits/responsibilities but no euro) is still a key issue for me. If/when the UK leaves the EU, I want to know how Scotland is placed for joining/remaining as part of the EU upon an independence vote. Knowing that (and some clear economic plans...) will move me towards a yes vote.

I'd prefer to remain in the UK (and we all try to improve our futures together) but it is going to take some incredible negotiations for me to feel the UK is better off outside the EU.

Pretty sure I avoided the B word...

My mind was changed just before the last general election. Cameron said (paraphrase) voting for Labour was a vote that would give the SNP a say in how the UK was run. At that point I really understood that the UK was always going to be simply Anglo centric. That was an insult to the voters of Scotland and I no longer want to have anything to do with Westminster.
Edit: Just for the record. I'm a Welsh person living in Scotland.

One just for the Scots?????
I'm English. So is my wife Madge.
We've lived in Scotland for about 7 years (Ayrshire, Skye & now Dumfries). We've both voted SNP in all elections since we've been here.
We both voted Yes in the last referendum.
We are not Scots, never will be. But although we're incomers ("immigrants") we live here, and plan to remain north of the border for the rest of our lives.
Would I vote for independence again? Probably, but not sure. Clearly, it would need a lot of weighing up. Should it be back as an option? Absolutely.

Latest posts

Back