Great British Bake Off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know why i watch it as i could burn water but i (we) do find it entertaining, one (two actually) things that have always annoyed me about the show have been Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc, i do not find them in the least bit funny and for me they will be no loss to the show, i heard the BBC may make their own version to give the finger to channel 4 and i hope they do.

Sue Perkins and Mel Giedroyc will step down as hosts of The Great British Bake Off when it moves to Channel 4.
The duo have fronted the show since it began on BBC Two in 2010, alongside judges Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
They said in a statement: "We made no secret of our desire for the show to remain where it was... we're not going with the dough."
Love Productions, which makes the show, thanked them for "bringing their unique humour to the tent".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37355065

I hope the BBC manage to hold on to the judges too, then they could have a proper go at their own version

I would love it if Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood said they were not moving and the BBC could make their own version i would even take my earlier comment back if it meant the show stayed on the BBC.

I've got a feeling Paul Hollywood would do anything for the money though

They may already have a contract with the makers. The sooner we do away with to licence and bbc goes commercial the better.

I was shocked to read it is a company that makes the show and the BBC buys it, i was under the impression they made it, this could be the thin edge of the wedge.

Jesus Chippy, you're starting to sound like our resident conspiracy theorist Russ now...

Concpiracy theory, the fact is another company made the programme and I imagine like myself the majority of people watching assumed the BBC made it themselves how many more of their most popular shows are not owned by them.

Back to the main subject, I have just heard channel 4 cannot show BBO in its current form for a length of time due to the contract what were they thinking.

Concpiracy theory, the fact is another company made the programme and I imagine like myself the majority of people watching assumed the BBC made it themselves how many more of their most popular shows are not owned by them.

Back to the main subject, I have just heard channel 4 cannot show BBO in its current form for a length of time due to the contract what were they thinking.

the BEEb were forced to outsource production of programmes back in the 90s I think so more and more content is provided outside the corporation.

What astonishes me is that they have made a massive success out of baking cakes with two failed, not very funny comediennes, a "national treasure" that no one had ever heard of until she was 75 and a self appointed camera hugging "expert" Paul Hollywood.
What is the career path to being a cake expert, I must find out one day (when I have sod all else to do.)

I never got why Mel and Sue were given the job one person could have shouted bake, it would seem Paul Hollywood rubs some people up the wrong way i think he does a good job and for me is equally as important as Mary and without him it wouldn't be the same show, it doesn't astonish me that the programme has become as popular as it has, i couldn't bake a cake from scratch and seeing the failures as well as the successes makes the show.

I never got why Mel and Sue were given the job one person could have shouted bake, it would seem Paul Hollywood rubs some people up the wrong way i think he does a good job and for me is equally as important as Mary and without him it wouldn't be the same show, it doesn't astonish me that the programme has become as popular as it has, i couldn't bake a cake from scratch and seeing the failures as well as the successes makes the show.

Must admit I have never watched the programme so no real opinion of Paul Hollywood other than he is a bit full of himself.
I suppose if you gave a complete novice a recipe and asked them to make beer they would struggle but I thought these people were self confessed baking addicts rather than starters.
Would be more interesting to see them take people from scratch, give them the basics and see them progress, maybe that should be the Beeb's next show. We might then see how good Paul Hollywood is at baking or teaching!

Using your beer making analogy i would suggest you could give a list of the same ingredients to 10 home brewers and the end result would be different for each brew, these self confessed cake bakers still make mistakes and that for me is what the show is about as much as who makes the best cake.

Well that is it for me i honestly thought Paul and Mary would stick together and refuse to move but he has gone for the easy money, i hope his viewing figure crash and burn.

Mary Berry will not be a judge on The Great British Bake Off when it moves from the BBC to Channel 4, but Paul Hollywood has said he will remain.
Berry said she was staying with the BBC out of "loyalty", adding that it had nurtured her and the show.
She said Bake Off had been "a unique and brilliant format from day one" and that she was "just sad for the audience who may not be ready for change".
But Hollywood said he was "delighted" to be staying on the show.
"It's been a huge part of my life in the past few years and I just couldn't turn my back on all that," he said.
Twitter reacts to Bake Off moves
BBC media correspondent David Sillito said Hollywood had been offered "some appearances" on Top Gear by the BBC before he signed the Channel 4 deal.
Berry wished the show "every success", and added: "Farewell to soggy bottoms."
Last week Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins also announced they were leaving, saying they were not "going with the dough".
Hollywood, who has signed a three-year deal, said: "I want to thank the BBC and Mel and Sue for making my time in the tent great fun and really rewarding."
He also thanked his fellow judge Berry in a later tweet, adding: "She has made the right decision for her."
Berry, Hollywood, Giedroyc and Perkins have appeared on the show since the first series was broadcast on BBC Two in 2010.
BBC News.

Yep, 2 failed and unfunny commiediens and a Paul Holy- Would, what a ******, the OUT-TAKES would be more interesting

What amazes me is, there are some cameras and a few cookers in a big tent. And it costs �£70m! World's gone mad!
You ought to see how many hangers-on it takes to make a film..
I've seen it with my own eyes.

You ought to see how many hangers-on it takes to make a film..
I've seen it with my own eyes.
Yup
they were using a quarter of the car parkover at our local Tesco the other week.
The feeding station/ cooking van ,mobile restaurant, mobile changing rooms, mobile lighting and sound units -the list goes on:mrgreen:

I wouldn't say its a complete waste of viewing as it keeps my misses amused whilst I do the beer thing.
shame they can't do a beer making program with a similar theme with those hairy bikers blokes
a grain father for the winner a pack of fosters each for the losers

Back