About time.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it's the lobbyists or the actions of a deity. Don't care. It's legal, I'll use it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I still see taxi drivers and some private drivers that have their phones on a cradle in the bottom corner of the windscreen. Whether it's bluetooth or not they should be mounted away from the window as they are frequently used for checking texts and Facebook updates and are a visible distraction to the driver.

I don't think you should be allowed to use a phone while driving even if it is hands free, it has been proved you are not concentrating on the road while having a conversation so for me it is a blanket ban on using phones while driving.

I don't agree with this. Me and the missus ring each other after work and speak for approximately 25 minutes whilst driving. Neither of us have been in an accident whilst doing it.

I'm capable of speaking and concentrating on the road at the same time.

On more than one occasion I have missed turns / gone the wrong way etc while speaking to someone on hands free......it's evidence that I wasn't concentrating sufficiently while driving.....perhaps not enough to be dangerous in my cases (perhaps I've just been lucky though) but it's clear that there was a reduction

I don't agree with this. Me and the missus ring each other after work and speak for approximately 25 minutes whilst driving. Neither of us have been in an accident whilst doing it.

I'm capable of speaking and concentrating on the road at the same time.

Don't wish to start an argument but no you are not. Research has shown that doing so distracts the driver proven by brain scans , the absence of accidents is not an indication of full attention, just a matter of luck sometimes!

Don't wish to start an argument but no you are not. Research has shown that doing so distracts the driver proven by brain scans , the absence of accidents is not an indication of full attention, just a matter of luck sometimes!

Yes I am. I know my own abilities more than you, or any researcher.

I've had a car with Bluetooth since May 2015 and have been using the Bluetooth for phoning, pretty much every work day since then. I haven't come close to being involved in an accident, whilst being on the phone.

It isn't luck, it's competence. If people can't speak and drive at the same time, they shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Yes I am. I know my own abilities more than you, or any researcher.

I've had a car with Bluetooth since May 2015 and have been using the Bluetooth for phoning, pretty much every work day since then. I haven't come close to being involved in an accident, whilst being on the phone.

It isn't luck, it's competence. If people can't speak and drive at the same time, they shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Not so much competence as overconfidence. It's a proven fact that No one's brain can multi task and a second activity will take it's toll on the first and foremost which should be driving.
You cannot learn to drive whilst being distracted you are driving despite it!

Not so much competence as overconfidence. It's a proven fact that No one's brain can multi task and a second activity will take it's toll on the first and foremost which should be driving.
You cannot learn to drive whilst being distracted you are driving despite it!

1. Confidence is a good thing if you're driving. You should be confident whilst controlling a vehicle. If you're not, then you're a nervous driver...a very dangerous thing indeed.
2. Everyone's brain multitasks. Your brain controls everything your body does at all times. So stating that nobodies brain can multitask is just a lie.
3. I'm happy with my driving whilst speaking on Bluetooth. I'm self-aware enough know my capabilities.

I'm happy with my driving whilst speaking on Bluetooth. I'm self-aware enough know my capabilities.

You seem to be under the illusion because you haven't had an accident you are are giving driving your car enough concentration to be a safe driver, i beg to differ.

What makes using a mobile phone at the wheel so dangerous?

In the United States, deaths caused by distracted driving have been increasing and researchers put this down to increases in drivers using mobile phones and other smart technology . Drivers speaking on phones are four times more likely to be in a crash that causes injury, whether on a hands-free or hand-held phone . Their crash risk remains higher than normal for up to 10 minutes after the call has ended . Drivers using phones have slower reaction times and difficulty controlling speed and lane position . They also brake more sharply in response to hazards, increasing the risk of rear-end crashes .

Some drivers mistakenly believe that talking on a hands-free kit at the wheel is safe, because hands-free use is still legal in the UK and many other countries . Research shows hands-free calls cause almost the same level of risk as hand-held , as the call itself is the main distraction, not holding the phone. Brain scanning has confirmed that speaking on a hands-free phone makes you less alert and less visually attentive .

Some people dispute the risks of hands-free phone use, claiming that talking on a phone is no different to talking to a passenger. However, research has found that while drivers on phones have much longer reaction times and poor speed control, drivers with chatty passengers perform nearly as safely as drivers with silent passengers . This is partly because conversations with passengers come to a natural pause when approaching hazards, as the passenger can see when the driver needs to concentrate .

Laws that only ban hand-held phones are therefore less effective in reducing crashes, because many drivers simply switch to hands-free phones, so are still distracted. A Brake and Direct Line survey found that following the UK’s introduction of a ban on using hand-held phones at the wheel in 2003, between 2006 and 2014, the proportion of UK drivers using hand-held mobile phones dropped from 36% to 13%, but those using hands-free rose from 22% to 32% .

The effect of talking on a phone while driving has been shown to be worse than drinking certain amounts of alcohol. Driver reaction times are 30% slower while using a hands-free phone than driving with a blood alcohol level of 80mg alcohol per 100ml blood (the current limit in England and Wales), and nearly 50% slower than driving under normal conditions .

Reading and writing messages while driving " such as texting, emailing or social networking " is even more distracting than talking on a phone, as it takes your mind, hands and eyes off the road. Texting drivers have 35% slower reaction times and poor lane control . One large-scale study found texting drivers were 23 times more likely to crash than a driver paying full attention .

Reaching for a mobile phone can be an irresistible temptation for some, despite knowledge of the risks. In the UK, experts have warned of increasing levels of smartphone addiction by users who are unable to go without checking their phone for short periods or through the night. Even the sound of a mobile phone ringing has been found to cause distraction and increase crash risk . That’s why Brake advises drivers to put their phones on silent and put them out of sight and out of reach.

http://www.brake.org.uk/rsw/15-facts-a-resources/facts/1131-distractionfacts

Should the police be allowed to talk to their control room whilst driving? (Don't know - but I assume that they are...)

You seem to be under the illusion because you haven't had an accident you are are giving driving your car enough concentration to be a safe driver, i beg to differ.

It isn't an illusion, it's a matter of fact. You can differ all you like, you've never been in a car with me, so are in no position to give judgement on my concentration levels behind the wheel.

I read the article.

I'd be more impressed if they took research of being in the car with a driver, under real driving conditions whilst they're speaking on Bluetooth conversations. I'd consider that more conclusive, than brain scans..as it is actually judging the ability to drive.

The point made about passengers being quiet when there is a hazard is a moot one. Firstly, not all passengers can drive, so they won't be aware of all hazards. Secondly, if a driver is competent (like me), they will "sound out" the conversation when there is a more hazardous situation...i.e. it is down to the driver to adjust to the hazard.

Paragraph 4 is nonsense. It states that the law banning hand-held phones doesn't prevent accidents...but then only uses statistics of people who use the hands free devices...rather than accident data.

Paragraph 5, I'd be interested to see how they have come to that conclusion...and if they have any accident data specific to using hands free devices to back up these claims.

The last two paragraphs aren't relevant to this specific discussion.

I'd be more impressed if they took research of being in the car with a driver, under real driving conditions whilst they're speaking on Bluetooth conversations. I'd consider that more conclusive, than brain scans..as it is actually judging the ability to drive.

lol

surely the bit about "makes you less alert and less visually attentive" is a clue here in terms of judging your ability to drive?

Should the police be allowed to talk to their control room whilst driving? (Don't know - but I assume that they are...)

valid point but I guess they'd argue that away as a "needs must" in emergencies situation in the same way that they are occasionally required to break the speed limit and run red lights etc

lol

surely the bit about "makes you less alert and less visually attentive" is a clue here in terms of judging your ability to drive?

No...actually judging somebody's driving in terms of causing accidents and near misses, as well as reactions to hazards is more conclusive than looking at images of their brain.

"lol" indeed.

so you think that being less alert and less visually attentive doesn't affect the likelihood of an accident then?

cracking logic

so you think that being less alert and less visually attentive doesn't affect the likelihood of an accident then?

cracking logic

I disagree that being on a blue tooth device speaking makes a person less alert and visually attentive.

I believe that this can be judged better in actual driving scenarios, in terms of what I have previously stated...the proof being in the pudding that me and countless other drivers do speak on the devices without causing accidents.

So yes, "cracking logic".

It's funny how everyone thinks they're a good driver, isn't it? I haven't met one person who thinks otherwise

It's funny how everyone thinks they're a good driver, isn't it? I haven't met one person who thinks otherwise

Depends on what the barometer for being a good driver is.

Number of crashes caused per miles driven would be a good one. However, other factors would need to be taken into account, like the number of near misses caused, potential accidents avoided, average times the person drives, the type of roads driven on too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back