About time.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny how everyone thinks they're a good driver, isn't it? I haven't met one person who thinks otherwise

My late father in law, a police advance driver for 25years, used to say that everyone is a bad driver as humans didn't evolve to travel at those speeds. He said all we could do was reduce risks and that the worst accidents he went to were "good" drivers.

That said I do use hands free sometimes but I answer a call ask if it's urgent and if so then I agree to stop at next opportunity and call them back. Probably should not even do that.

whilst i am in the same camp as most here and think its dangerous to use a mobile when driving i think its more dangerous to smoke when driving its not against the law as far as i know but if someone drops a cigarette in the motor and their ******** or seat is on fire who knows what type of erratic driving we would see........

whilst i am in the same camp as most here and think its dangerous to use a mobile when driving i think its more dangerous to smoke when driving its not against the law as far as i know but if someone drops a cigarette in the motor and their ******** or seat is on fire who knows what type of erratic driving we would see........

Years ago a mate did just that and crashed into a bus stop, fortunately late at night and no one was there. Scared him so much he quit smoking!

He was wearing some kind of proper Essex shell suit at the time which was rather flammable.

I drive a lot and see it all, cups of tea, reading books, plates of toast etc. Worst one at the moment is lorry drivers falling asleep and drifting from lane to lane. Mostly from further parts of Europe so probably overtired. Father in law told me about one chap who crashed into the back of a car at a junction and was more injured than they expected for the speed. Turned out he was picking his nose, both nostrils at once and fingers went right up when he crashed, quite gross.

I have cameras front and back of the car just in case, fortunately not needed them for insurance purposes but one national express driver probably wishes I didn't have them after I showed a cop the video of him sidewiping a mini when drifting into the outside lane of the M1 recently;)

I don't agree with this. Me and the missus ring each other after work and speak for approximately 25 minutes whilst driving. Neither of us have been in an accident whilst doing it.

I'm capable of speaking and concentrating on the road at the same time.
And some people can probably get ****** and drive perfectly fine, but we legislate based on those who can't.

Whether people's driving is impacted by talking on a mobile communications device falls under the category of science. If an idea is not testable, repeatable, observable and falsifiable it is not scientific and is therefore irrelevant to anything other than talking ******** down the pub/on a forum.

I dropped a can of coke in the foot well and couldn't find it by feeling around. When I went to brake I couldn't cos the can was wedged under the brake pedal.....sheer panic set in I can tell you!

1. Confidence is a good thing if you're driving. You should be confident whilst controlling a vehicle. If you're not, then you're a nervous driver...a very dangerous thing indeed.
2. Everyone's brain multitasks. Your brain controls everything your body does at all times. So stating that nobodies brain can multitask is just a lie.
3. I'm happy with my driving whilst speaking on Bluetooth. I'm self-aware enough know my capabilities.

Multi tasking is not the same as sequencing - one think after another. it is a proven fact that people only concentrate on one thing at a time. When you are talking and deciding what film to watch later or discussing what to eat the driving suffers. FACT.lok up multitasking and neuroscientists will tell you that when people think they are multitasking they are not, they are actually switching their attention quicklyfrom one thing to another which is distraction!
There is a level of confidence required for driving but my description of overconfidence stems from the fact that you seem to think that you only need a portion of your brain to perform a potentially deadly task like driving when a I have pointed out you can only focus on one main task as a time. Surely killing someone ( or avoiding doing so) is slightly more important than making social arrangements!
There is a level of subconcious activity going on when driving such as driving the same route, changing gear but this in itself is a danger, do you really want to be subconciously in charge of a car. I would rather be actively aware of where I am and what I am doing and respond to any thing that emerges.

I disagree that being on a blue tooth device speaking makes a person less alert and visually attentive.

I believe that this can be judged better in actual driving scenarios, in terms of what I have previously stated...the proof being in the pudding that me and countless other drivers do speak on the devices without causing accidents.

So yes, "cracking logic".

Yes you would disagree. I had a similar argument with my brother in law who although he was a bus driver insisted that alcohol did not affect him as much as other people. He apparently knew better that all of the evidence and all of the scientists but he was just as wrong as you are by insisting that you do not believe what is put before you just because it does not suit you.

Yes you would disagree. I had a similar argument with my brother in law who although he was a bus driver insisted that alcohol did not affect him as much as other people. He apparently knew better that all of the evidence and all of the scientists but he was just as wrong as you are by insisting that you do not believe what is put before you just because it does not suit you.

And you do believe what has been put in front of you, because it suits your opinion.

Well Pope it would appear you may be the exception to the rule, i hope for your sake you never find out you actually are not and the fatal accident that proves it doesn't haunt you for the rest of your life..

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

Mobile Phones and Driving - 2015

A substantial body of research shows that using a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone while driving is a significant distraction, and substantially increases the risk of the driver crashing.

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

are much less aware of what's happening on the road around them
fail to see road signs
fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
are more likely to 'tailgate' the vehicle in front
react more slowly, take longer to brake and longer to stop
are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
feel more stressed and frustrated.
They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and other people.

Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.

Read more - http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/drivers/distraction/mobile-phones/

Multi tasking is not the same as sequencing - one think after another. it is a proven fact that people only concentrate on one thing at a time. When you are talking and deciding what film to watch later or discussing what to eat the driving suffers. FACT.lok up multitasking and neuroscientists will tell you that when people think they are multitasking they are not, they are actually switching their attention quicklyfrom one thing to another which is distraction!
There is a level of confidence required for driving but my description of overconfidence stems from the fact that you seem to think that you only need a portion of your brain to perform a potentially deadly task like driving when a I have pointed out you can only focus on one main task as a time. Surely killing someone ( or avoiding doing so) is slightly more important than making social arrangements!
There is a level of subconcious activity going on when driving such as driving the same route, changing gear but this in itself is a danger, do you really want to be subconciously in charge of a car. I would rather be actively aware of where I am and what I am doing and respond to any thing that emerges.

My driving does not suffer when I am talking about what to have for tea. Saying "FACT" after a statement doesn't make it so.

I am focused when driving...as I have repeatedly said, I am capable of speaking on bluetooth and concentrating on the road. This is backed up by the lack of accidents or near misses.

Well Pope you are either deluded or the exception to the rule i think we all know which it is.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents

Mobile Phones and Driving - 2015

A substantial body of research shows that using a hand-held or hands-free mobile phone while driving is a significant distraction, and substantially increases the risk of the driver crashing.

Drivers who use a mobile phone, whether hand-held or hands-free:

are much less aware of what's happening on the road around them
fail to see road signs
fail to maintain proper lane position and steady speed
are more likely to 'tailgate' the vehicle in front
react more slowly, take longer to brake and longer to stop
are more likely to enter unsafe gaps in traffic
feel more stressed and frustrated.
They are also four times more likely to crash, injuring or killing themselves and other people.

Using a hands-free phone while driving does not significantly reduce the risks because the problems are caused mainly by the mental distraction and divided attention of taking part in a phone conversation at the same time as driving.

Read more - http://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/drivers/distraction/mobile-phones/
Find me an article which is specific to hands free (this article refers to both hand held and free) with watertight evidence, about actual driving performance of drivers speaking on hands free kits...not brain scans and I might be turned.

Until then, I'll carry on using my bluetooth device whilst avoiding driving into people.

Oh and do the people who published the article suggest we sit in silence with passengers too...given that they believe having a conversation is mentally distracting.

The evidence on hands-free cell phone devices while driving

Whether it’s a quick call to ask what’s needed from the grocery store or catching up with a long-distance friend " people everywhere talk on cell phones while they’re driving.

It’s long been recognised that talking on the phone while driving increases your risk of being involved in a crash. But in recent years, car and technology companies have marketed hands-free devices as a safer way to talk while driving.

Now a growing body of evidence suggests using hands-free phone devices such as ear pieces and Bluetooth is equally as dangerous as talking on a cell phone normally.

The latest study, commissioned by the American Automobile Association and performed by researchers are the University of Utah, measured the cognitive distraction created by performing a wide variety of tasks while driving. Listening to the radio or a book on tape proved to be the least distracting activities, while performing a verbal cognitive task involving math and word recall proved to be the most distracting. Talking on a hands-free cellular device ranked in the middle of the spectrum " more distracting than talking to a passenger and slightly less distracting than holding a phone up to your ear.

There’s more evidence, as well. A systematic review published in 2009 found talking on the phone " hands-free or not " has a negative influence upon driving performance. And it found that people talking on hands-free devices drive at faster speeds than those using hand-held device possibly because the hands-free device provides a false sense of security, resulting in a greater incidence of car accidents.

In addition, a 2012 white paper by the National Safety Council " which includes references from more than 30 research studies " found that “the cognitive distraction from paying attention to conversation " from listening and responding to a disembodied voice " contributes to numerous driving impairments” including inattention blindness (when drivers look at, but do not “see” objects in their path), slower reaction times and problems staying in a lane. That paper concludes: “Driving while talking on cell phones " handheld and hands-free " increases risk of injury and property damage crashes fourfold.”

Taken together, the evidence is clear: Talking on the phone while driving " even when using a hand-free device " is not safe. So they next time you’re tempted to make that quick call or pick up the phone while you’re on the road, take a moment to think about what the research shows.

http://evidencebasedliving.human.co...-hands-free-cell-phone-devices-while-driving/

Try this one https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1188107/

Risk increased by factor of 4 up to 10 minutes after using phone hands free or not. Yes it's not entirely specific to hands free but it doesn't need to be if risk is after the call has taken place... Has the hands free figures in it though and that's a 3.8 increase at 95% CI. Puts me off doing it, no one wants to see a forum poster suddenly go quiet and never post again.....

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Hello, very interesting thread.

Something missing thus far, I feel, is a brief discussion of what risk actually is.

Increased risk means that you are more likely to suffer or encounter an event. It doesn't mean that you are definitely going to encounter it.

In the case of mobile phones, then the increased risk of an accident appears to be backed up by evidence, in respect of both hands-free and handheld devices. This evidence will have been published openly for peer review, I hope, and used well established and respected scientific and statistical methods.

Individually, therefore, we may not think we are affected, however across a population, it has an effect. We just don't know which specific individuals in that population or cohort of people will experience the event.

Thus, Pope feels, based on his own individual experiences, that he is not affected by using a hands-free. Until something happens to change that view, it is as valid as any other. Using the facts from scientific research about risks across a population and then extrapolating this onto an individual, will not change that view, and is not really a valid technique as it cannot be done at all reliably. Same with smoking and cancer, or skydiving and catastrophic chute failure, which we all accept (I assume) are linked.

Pope, I believe you are wrong, however confess that I also talk on hands-free as I drive about 20,000 miles a year for work, and am all blue-toothed up. I am also an empiricist, however, and know that this is increasing my risk. I am wrong, too. I just choose to ignore that. To a point. I justify it to myself by only accepting incoming calls, and only making outgoing calls that I can voice-dial.

This thread might change my mind, however, as it has caused me to pause and think.

Unless it is legislated for, though, I fear it will not change drastically across the population, and even then there will still be some.....

Safe driving.

Dog.

Hello, very interesting thread.

Something missing thus far, I feel, is a brief discussion of what risk actually is.

Increased risk means that you are more likely to suffer or encounter an event. It doesn't mean that you are definitely going to encounter it.

In the case of mobile phones, then the increased risk of an accident appears to be backed up by evidence, in respect of both hands-free and handheld devices. This evidence will have been published openly for peer review, I hope, and used well established and respected scientific and statistical methods.

Individually, therefore, we may not think we are affected, however across a population, it has an effect. We just don't know which specific individuals in that population or cohort of people will experience the event.

Thus, Pope feels, based on his own individual experiences, that he is not affected by using a hands-free. Until something happens to change that view, it is as valid as any other. Using the facts from scientific research about risks across a population and then extrapolating this onto an individual, will not change that view, and is not really a valid technique as it cannot be done at all reliably. Same with smoking and cancer, or skydiving and catastrophic chute failure, which we all accept (I assume) are linked.

Pope, I believe you are wrong, however confess that I also talk on hands-free as I drive about 20,000 miles a year for work, and am all blue-toothed up. I am also an empiricist, however, and know that this is increasing my risk. I am wrong, too. I just choose to ignore that. To a point. I justify it to myself by only accepting incoming calls, and only making outgoing calls that I can voice-dial.

This thread might change my mind, however, as it has caused me to pause and think.

Unless it is legislated for, though, I fear it will not change drastically across the population, and even then there will still be some.....

Safe driving.

Dog.

Well said that was my point entirely but you said it better. Just because you say you are in control does not make it so the risk is still increased. I have to respect your decision to proceed whilst talking on bluetooth but it's not always the bloke on the phone who gets killed is it, and for me it is safer ( without doubt) not to do so.

Sent from my phone whilst driving ( only joking!)

Totally agree, splendid post, I was going to do something about risk myself but couldn't have it explained it so well so I didn't. I do over 30k a year and I have today decided not even to answer the phone to find out if it's important. It's not. It's more important for my wife and son not to get a policeman at the door late at night saying I'm not there anymore. Any also for someone's else's family that might suffer because of my increased risk.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

I feel everyone, including myself in my earlier posts which are forgetting one very important fact which needs to be taken into account. The overall risk depends on so many more factors than just whether you're using a hands free or are a total idiot and have your iPhone to your ear. I was driving home yesterday and there was a localised shower around my area, I had a call from my Dad and did what I always do and didnt answer. I didnt take this into account with my first responses as its become second nature to me. I will use my hands free, no qualms, but it depends on the other conditions and circumstances. If I dont know the road, I wont answer, if its raining/icy/snowy/foggy, wont answer (My car is enough of a handful in the dry, the wet makes it "Twitchy") If its someone I'm likely to argue with I wont answer so my original comment was probably a little incorrect. I do use it a lot, but not without respect to other factors.

If that makes any sense at all, good. If not, imagine you've been ill for 2 days, are doped up on painkiller/antibiotics/antiinflammatories and generally feel mentally "Fuzzy"

The evidence on hands-free cell phone devices while driving

Whether it’s a quick call to ask what’s needed from the grocery store or catching up with a long-distance friend " people everywhere talk on cell phones while they’re driving.

It’s long been recognised that talking on the phone while driving increases your risk of being involved in a crash. But in recent years, car and technology companies have marketed hands-free devices as a safer way to talk while driving.

Now a growing body of evidence suggests using hands-free phone devices such as ear pieces and Bluetooth is equally as dangerous as talking on a cell phone normally.

The latest study, commissioned by the American Automobile Association and performed by researchers are the University of Utah, measured the cognitive distraction created by performing a wide variety of tasks while driving. Listening to the radio or a book on tape proved to be the least distracting activities, while performing a verbal cognitive task involving math and word recall proved to be the most distracting. Talking on a hands-free cellular device ranked in the middle of the spectrum " more distracting than talking to a passenger and slightly less distracting than holding a phone up to your ear.

There’s more evidence, as well. A systematic review published in 2009 found talking on the phone " hands-free or not " has a negative influence upon driving performance. And it found that people talking on hands-free devices drive at faster speeds than those using hand-held device possibly because the hands-free device provides a false sense of security, resulting in a greater incidence of car accidents.

In addition, a 2012 white paper by the National Safety Council " which includes references from more than 30 research studies " found that “the cognitive distraction from paying attention to conversation " from listening and responding to a disembodied voice " contributes to numerous driving impairments” including inattention blindness (when drivers look at, but do not “see” objects in their path), slower reaction times and problems staying in a lane. That paper concludes: “Driving while talking on cell phones " handheld and hands-free " increases risk of injury and property damage crashes fourfold.”

Taken together, the evidence is clear: Talking on the phone while driving " even when using a hand-free device " is not safe. So they next time you’re tempted to make that quick call or pick up the phone while you’re on the road, take a moment to think about what the research shows.

http://evidencebasedliving.human.co...-hands-free-cell-phone-devices-while-driving/

Well articulated, but sadly lacking in conclusive evidence.

The first couple of paragraphs are filler, to try and lengthen the article.

How did the American Automobile Association measure distraction in drivers? What were the driving scenarios, actual roads travelling somewhere or in a controlled environment?

What were the negative influences on driving performance report in 2009 found? It also says that people using hands-free drive faster than hand-held "possibly" because of a false sense of security. Firstly, using the word "possibly" removes any credibility from that statement. Secondly, people have been speeding long before mobile phones in cars and will continue to do so whether or not they're using a phone.

The 2012 article states talking on the phone "contributes" to mentioned impairments. That itself suggests there are other contributing factors...such as the person's poor driving ability for example. I have never found that I miss objects in my path or lack Lane discipline when I'm driving and speaking on Bluetooth...my driving is the same. The statement about increasing the possibility of an accident fourfold, is something else which isn't explained how they've come to that conclusion...and again it refers to both hands-free and hand-held. Is it from actual accident data which has undoubtedly blamed accidents on using hands-free devices?

So the "evidence" isn't clear, the narrative of the articles are. Therefore, I will continue using my hands free device, without any guilt or hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back