windows 10 update.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worry about this going a bit off topic, i booted the laptop yesterday and found i had installed Linux Mint, it was very good and easy to use, i say was as i have forgotten my password so am locked out :doh: i believe there is a version of Ubuntu that is for older computers/laptops with low specs so i am going to have a look at that.

I have tried to reset the password using some tutorials on the internet but have failed miserably.

lisa_dark.png

I have found my original Linux Mint CD so am installing again, i will make a note of my password. :lol:

For those reading that may think you need to be a computer geek to install and use Linux believe me i thought the same and it really is easy to get your head around, if you have an old PC with an out of date OS give linux a try.

I am using the cinnamon version - https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I wondered why my laptop was doing this, used it last week and then shut it down before going to bed (or at least tried too), got the configuring updates + % complete message, left it for a few minutes and the percentage had hardly moved so I just left it and went to bed. When I returned to it in the morning it had shutdown. The went to use it that evening, powered it up, further messages of updates being installed / configured. This time left for an hour or so as I did actually want to to use the machine. Finally gave up and went to bed again, the next morning the machine had booted so I turned it off. Bit excessive that it took several hours to get the machine back into a useable state and actually I lost a whole evening of use from it. Could at least warn you about it before going ahead.

Haven't had a proper chance to look at it yet but nothing seemed that different?

I wondered why my laptop was doing this, used it last week and then shut it down before going to bed (or at least tried too), got the configuring updates + % complete message, left it for a few minutes and the percentage had hardly moved so I just left it and went to bed. When I returned to it in the morning it had shutdown. The went to use it that evening, powered it up, further messages of updates being installed / configured. This time left for an hour or so as I did actually want to to use the machine. Finally gave up and went to bed again, the next morning the machine had booted so I turned it off. Bit excessive that it took several hours to get the machine back into a useable state and actually I lost a whole evening of use from it. Could at least warn you about it before going ahead.

Haven't had a proper chance to look at it yet but nothing seemed that different?
Is your laptop up to the task?
We have an old Toshiba laptop which originally came with Vista (remember that ? :hmm:) but now happily runs W7. However it simply isn't good enough for W10, so I resisted any attempts by the Microsoft software to get me to upgrade.

We have an old Toshiba laptop which originally came with Vista

The laptop i put Linux mint on is a Toshiba Equium A200 which also came with Vista, i didn't think it would run Windows7 so i bought a better one, i then put Linux on the Toshiba rather than bin it.

Windows® Vista® Home Premium Edition

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor T2310

15.4 ", Toshiba TruBrite® WXGA TFT display

Hard disk 120 GB

2,048 (1,024 + 1,024) MB, DDR2 RAM (667 MHz)

Intel® GMA X3100

Linux Mint runs on my old Athlon XP2500... Linux runs on almost anything, no matter how old. Its always going to be fast as it runs completely differently to Windows and utilises RAM in a much better way.

Never got on with Mint which is why I ended up with Ubuntu. Just couldnt live without google apps and google searching...

To be honest i only installed Mint because it was named in a top 5 for old PC/laptops, i only installed it out of curiosity and am happy i have given the old laptop a new lease of life rather than binning it, i am happy with windows 10 it does everything i need it to so will not be converting my desktop/laptop to Linux any time soon.

I upgraded a few of my computers to Win 10 a few month back when the free upgrade deadline loomed. What really maddens me is the way it forces updates on you and restarts when it likes. Previous to this version I have always been able to choose when to do updates. As two of the machines run 24/7 (one a weather station) I can do without inconvenient restarts mucking things up.

I mainly use Apple Mac gear but unfortunately some things are strictly Windows based. Macs are bloody reliable but don't make very good games machines either.

Linux, brilliant. Such a solid reliable operating system and runs on almost anything. I have quite a few Raspberry Pi's doing various tasks and they are so reliable. Only really used Raspbian, The RPi's version of Debian in command line though as I have not needed it's windowing environment yet. But when this ageing Mac Pro dies I will probably build a good Linux box as a replacement.

Latest posts

Back