Hydrometer Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now onto day 17 and the reading is 1.010 so it seems to have stalled so not sure what to do next....

Well, if the gravity is steady at 1.010, and your intention is to barrel it, then do it now. Sounds like your fermentation has finished - not necessarily "stuck".

Hey an update - I moved my fermenter to a warmer part of the house and wrapped it to keep it warmer and it seems to have done the trick as if i am reading my hydrometer correctly I think I'm down to 1.06 which is almost the target! So a little patience has hopefully been rewarded:

wmrmjei.jpg

I'll take another reading tomorrow and tranfer one day this week i think. I have nothing to lose by leaving it until the end of the week I presume?

Thnaks!

No problem leaving it to the end of the week. If you test the gravity again then it'll give you a better idea of how done it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed some advice in previous replies and moved the fermenter closer to a heat source, I swirled the wort and then stirred it a little without adding any air. It's now been 14 days in the fermenter and I'm getting a reading of 1.010. Allowing for a margin of error in my reading and perhaps an unrealistic/unachievable target FG (unless brewed in a professional environment) of 1.005 would now be a good time to move the WORT to the pressure barrel or should I hold out a little longer?

Your hydrometer should read 1.000 in water at 20 degrees (most hyrometers are calibrated to 20 deg thesedays.)

1.005 for a beer is done in anyones language. Overdone in fact if you're after a thick chewy beer :-).

I've bottled my wheat beer early at 1017 (but added less priming sugar) because i'm just a rebel at heart :whistle:

I find 130g with an Fg of 1017 or 165g with an Fg of 1008 end up about the same level of carbonation.

I'm just following the instruction that came with the kit which said to wait until the gravity is at 1.050 for 2 or more consecutive days.

Thanks for the tip on the sugar, I'll bear that in mind.

Latest posts

Back