Grainfather vs DIY upgrade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshhales

Reaction score
Hi

I'm thinking of upgrading to a grainfather, I currently do 10L AG batches and keg. I want don't have much space and I'll be moving soon, so an electric system is probably best as I don't know if I'll have a gas hob etc.

For the cost of the grainfather I thought I could just upgrade my current 3 pot system.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to just use the grainfather control box and adapt to a different DIY system?

Grainfather is great for space, resources (help) and automation.
DIY is great for cost and customising.

Be great to get thoughts on this. Would you get a grainfather or update your current system with pumps and electric elements?

Cheers!

I'm waiting for an inheritance to come through so could be upgrading any time soon. I am also looking at possibly a GF, but will probably go for the Bulldog Brewer or similar as a cheaper option. Possibly with some of the saving going on a separate water heater for the sparge water.

As it will be set up in my garage I'm planning on doubling up the time with using my gym which is also in there. So the plan is I'll start the mash and while waiting for that will have a run on my treadmill (about half an hour) and some weights on the multigym. Then when the mash is done, sparge and start the boil. Then carry on with weights followed by punch bag and/or exercise bike. When the boil has finished have a shower while chiller is cooling the wort. Put in the FV and exercise again in a couple of months when I do my next brew :whistle:

Brilliant idea! You could even use the hot water from the cooling to shower in, super efficient.

I like the look of those cheaper options too, but something about the grainfather community that appeals too. That's why I wondered if it's possible to use the control box on a DIY system. Best of both worlds.

If space is a problem then probably best to go with a grainfather. That way if you wanted to build up a 3 vessel system at a lather date you can.

I have a 3 vessel set up and sometimes I don't have the time to get a brew on (and tidy up). So I have started doing BIAB with an induction hob ( same stock pots) to allow me to do a quick brew in the evening.

I suppose the advantage of having a couple of different methods of brewing is it gives you choice, depending on the time you have or style you want.

The cost of the grainfather put me off and I don't have the space really. The induction hob allows me to still have the 3 vessels if needed but it's not automated unfortunately.

Sorry I can't help with controller question.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for an inheritance to come through so could be upgrading any time soon. I am also looking at possibly a GF, but will probably go for the Bulldog Brewer or similar as a cheaper option. Possibly with some of the saving going on a separate water heater for the sparge water.

As it will be set up in my garage I'm planning on doubling up the time with using my gym which is also in there. So the plan is I'll start the mash and while waiting for that will have a run on my treadmill (about half an hour) and some weights on the multigym. Then when the mash is done, sparge and start the boil. Then carry on with weights followed by punch bag and/or exercise bike. When the boil has finished have a shower while chiller is cooling the wort. Put in the FV and exercise again in a couple of months when I do my next brew :whistle:

I'm knackered after a brew day without any exercise in between. I just tend to drink homebrew while brewing, I thought that was the first rule of homebrewing.

It depends if you like DIY, if you do it.

Clearly both will work as to 1 pot or 3V :- http://www.homebrewtalk.com/single-vessel-brewing-systems-overview-review-pt1.html

I like one pot, it's tidy, it works and it's easy to clean but I'll push the boat out to include Blitchmann BrewEasy types as even a GF has two vessels it's just that one hides inside the other

The only significant issue with one pot is that it's usually more difficult to do large volumes or very high OG beers without doing less.

aamce

If space is a problem then probably best to go with a grainfather. That way if you wanted to build up a 3 vessel system at a lather date you can.

I have a 3 vessel set up and sometimes I don't have the time to get a brew on (and tidy up). So I have started doing BIAB with an induction hob ( same stock pots) to allow me to do a quick brew in the evening.

I suppose the advantage of having a couple of different methods of brewing is it gives you choice, depending on the time you have or style you want.

The cost of the grainfather put me off and I don't have the space really. The induction hob allows me to still have the 3 vessels if needed but it's not automated unfortunately.

Sorry I can't help with controller question.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Sounds like we are in a similar situation. I have 3 small stock pots right now but want to speed up my brew days. True that having the option is nice though.

It depends if you like DIY, if you do it.

Clearly both will work as to 1 pot or 3V :- http://www.homebrewtalk.com/single-vessel-brewing-systems-overview-review-pt1.html

I like one pot, it's tidy, it works and it's easy to clean but I'll push the boat out to include Blitchmann BrewEasy types as even a GF has two vessels it's just that one hides inside the other

The only significant issue with one pot is that it's usually more difficult to do large volumes or very high OG beers without doing less.

aamce

Thanks for the link, looks like a good read. One pot would be ideal I think, I just wonder if I can adapt my current system

Hi!
I bought an ACE mash tun last year and I also have a 22 litre tea urn. I am currently building an electric recirculating mash system, but I could have got the ACE one pot brewing system for less than what I've just paid out for a pump, tubing, controllers etc etc.

Thanks for the link, looks like a good read. One pot would be ideal I think, I just wonder if I can adapt my current system

I'd say yes I really cannot imagine that you don't have the bits for BIAB and if you have a pump a re-circulating system.

aamcle

diy builds have a tendency to suffer cost creep, However you can also design the ideal solution to fit your prefered method to brew. however there can also be trial n error situations where you err. however a 10l nano brewery woulnt be very expensive to build imho.

And i dare say you may also feel a tad extra pride supping a quality pint in the knowledge you built the brewery to brew the beer..

You surely can connect the grainfather controller to a different sensor**, element and pump. and its a reasonably priced feature rich device too, tho i still think wifi would have been a better option than B/tooth..
** Same sensor type, and similar element size..

Very true re: extra pride in the building the kit and 10l shouldn't be too tricky to build I hope. Well I have most of it already, just need the elements and pumps.

I'm knackered after a brew day without any exercise in between. I just tend to drink homebrew while brewing, I thought that was the first rule of homebrewing.

That is a very good point. I will change the planned day to pouring a pint when the boil ends. While the brews chilling, I will chill as well. I'll have my shower after pitching the yeast. If I were to break that rule.....who knows what would happen.

P.S. I measured inside my larder fridge today and might be able to fit one of these in....
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/fastfer...RIfGKh6IuRvu6SWPN1URrXB0bSwL9RgutwaAs5W8P8HAQ

I might even try the suggestion at the end if its after exercise!!!!

That is a very good point. I will change the planned day to pouring a pint when the boil ends. While the brews chilling, I will chill as well. I'll have my shower after pitching the yeast. If I were to break that rule.....who knows what would happen.

P.S. I measured inside my larder fridge today and might be able to fit one of these in....
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/fastfer...RIfGKh6IuRvu6SWPN1URrXB0bSwL9RgutwaAs5W8P8HAQ

I might even try the suggestion at the end if its after exercise!!!!

In practice a conical fermentor will not dump all yeast and trub neatly so draining through the same port will carry more sediment matter than ideal.

and sometimes if not dumped regularly the yeast sediment can set solid needing pressurisation of the fv to push it out.

in our volumes of brewing there is little benefit from the conical shape minimising losses

And unless your collecting yeast from every brew to isolate bank or breed
the dumping facility isnt worth the downsides inho.

saying that some folk who have em do luv em ,,

Could be a book deal in the offing there. Fitness and the beer brewing fanatic!

Sounds like we are in a similar situation. I have 3 small stock pots right now but want to speed up my brew days. True that having the option is nice though.
Heres a thread I started recently about adding an induction hob to my kit if it helps you any.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67818

Everyones reasons are different on the choice of kit but this route allows you to build a bigger 3 vessel system with an added choice. It does lack the automation of the Grainfather which would help speed up a brewday.

I've only done one BIAB with it and I need to refine my technique to actually get the time down a bit more and automating the strike water step would help me do this. So its not as slick as a Grainfather and my efficency is down but the cost off a little more grain is worth the time is will save me.

Good luck with making the decision that fits

Back