Electric brew kettle... Best choice???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whammybar

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to decide weather to get an electric brew kettle... But haven't got very far.

Are the current burco and buffalo urns sutitable or do they need modifications?

Are the plastic peco's any good?

Are the stainless steel pre made kettle worth the extra money?

Any input would be great

Thanks

I got one of these (without the sight glass) for my birthday, very happy with it.

4DC1CEDD-FE30-496F-A4AE-81B4996E1218.png

I got the 33L peco with the HBC BIAB starting kit and I'm very happy with it over the 9 months and 13 brews I've been doing AG. The element has scorched a couple of times and needed a good scrub, and I now have the hop strainer and a cheap home-made hop sock, which has stopped the blocking issue I had with the first couple of brews. Other than that, it has been great. Comes to mash temp quickly enough, only drops a degree during the mash if I insulate it well with blankets/duvet, and it holds a good rolling boil, so it does everything I ask of it. I can't comment on the steel ones, and although they do look very good I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

I have a 25ltr (holds almost 30 though) Peco from the Homebrew shop Hawley.

I use a hop sock like Ian M. Never had any issues at all. When I got it I was new and only had done 2 brews. I was hesitant to spend more than I did.

Now I'd love to have a shiny one and will be upgrading in the summer for sure.

It really comes down to how much spare change you have and if you brew often enough to warrant it I guess.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Buffalo boilers suffer with poor elements, mine gave up after a brew or two so I fitted a low watt density (just means long so stuff doesn't burn on) element and I'm very happy with it.
It's a good size for a 23 litre brew, the buffalo boiler elements were so bad that Nisbits discontinued them but the good news is you may be able to get a bust one cheap and fit an element.

aamcle

Last edited:
peco here for me too,, i do love shiney,,, but it does the same job and does it well enough too,as others have said, it boils :oops: down to how many pennys you want to spend.
they all boil!!

I bought a Burco boiler for £71, thermostatic amd shiny! Rolling boil no problem, only had to change tap,a fiver from Screwfix, only done three biab and one partial but very happy 👍

i normally make 21 to 22 ltrs, so i can bottle a few once i fill my corny.
i will probs go for the 40 ltr, thanks for the advice anyway

I started with a peco, was great, did the job for brews up to 23L. The tap it comes with is an on/off tap which is fine for batch sparging but I like to fly sparge, so I replaced it with a SS ball valve. It lasted about 6 months or so of heavy use before it leaked. The plastic had warped from the weight of the metal tap.

I got the 56 litre kettle which was screen shot by Klaus. IT took a while to set up - it arrives with the holes pre drilled and a load of parts you need to put in yourself - I was plugging leaks for a while. I've had it over a year now, doesn't leak, and really like it. Needs a filter though. I use a bendy copper pipe with holes drilled in inside a hop filter. This way it filters and I get minimal loss.

To control it I use my peco controller. Alternatively you might be able to use an STC controller, inkbird, or something like that. I had to drill a hole for the thermowell. As someone who isn't great at DIY, it wasn't easy drilling through stainless steel, but had to drill a hole for the q-max cutter.

Latest posts

Back