Simcoe and Cascade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retourrbx

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking to brew with 100g of each of these hops

Never used Simcoe before and am looking for advice as to how to use these hops together - bittering and/or aroma wise.

Or would you recommend using Simcoe on their own as it is these hops that I really want to get an idea of what's going on with them.

Brewlength is 23L - fair selection of malts in stock

Thanks for any ponderings

:cheers:

Not had experience with either hop retourrbx, you will certainly get the the taste if you use one or the other for both "bittering" and "aroma"
If you do single hop, I'll be interested in your comments.

They go together just lovely. A little Simco in at the start then loads in at 20, a load more Simco and Cascade at 5 then more at flame out. makes my mouth water!!

Rob

I actually had an all-simcoe IPA earlier this summer and it was awesome! I suggest dry-hopping 28g of each about a week before you bottle or keg.

Simcoe are my favourite hop at the moment in pale/blonde beers...the citrus aroma is fantastic, cascade are great too!
Just done a brew with 100% cascade, first taste is very good, can't wait until it's ready to keg.

I brewed this 10 days ago

5kg Pale malt
200g Amber
200g Wheat
200g Munich

Simcoe 12.9%
Cascade 6.3%

60mins 30g Simcoe
30mins 30g cascade
Flame out 30g Cascade and 30g Simcoe

US-05

OG 1.046

After a week it was down to 1.026 - 10 days now and down to 1.012

After a week the taste was amazing however recent tasting was a little more bland - less... zingyness...

Going to dry hop with 30g of each of the hops I've got I think to try ad get it back. Will put fermenter in fridge to drop yeast out then dry hop in primary for a week.

Fingers crossed - thinking this might be a very nice brew - quite SNPA ish

we continue

I can't explain why but the hop aroma/flavour seems to come and go at various times just after fermentation. It comes back in the bottle though! It's a strange science.

Rob

borischarlton said:
I can't explain why but the hop aroma/flavour seems to come and go at various times just after fermentation. It comes back in the bottle though! It's a strange science.

Rob

Yeah I agree with this! Heavily hopped ales can sometimes taste like nothing out of the fermenter, then taste hoppy again in the keg. Then freshly carbonated they seem to lose aroma, then it comes back...

fermented with US05 for 14 days, down to 1.012 - cold conditioning at 4deg for one week, dry hopping with 30g of cascade and 30g simcoe - good times

what temp did you mash at ? I find when ever I use us-05 my brew finishes really low, as low as 1002 :shock:

Back