Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugno

Reaction score
Well we bit the bullit today, myself and alfredo. Made two 1 gallon demijohn using apple juice Lalvins champagne yeast and 125g of Lactose in each to keep some sweetness.

2008_08032008_07260003.jpg

Also picked up these. Has anyone tried.

2008_08032008_07260004.jpg

1 London Porter
2 Celebrator Doppelbock
3 Flensburger Weizen
4 Bannockburn Scottish ale
5 William Wallace Scottish ale

I've not had a bottle of the London Porter, but I seek it out when I can in Fullers pubs, when its on a hand pump.
Its big and malty, in short bloody lovely :cool: the flavour lasts for about 30mins after quaffing, only a APA could compete with it.

I wasn,t a big fan of the celebrator. Loved the Fullers porter and the Flensburger Weizen. I thought the Bannockburn Scottish ale was a bit pissy and won't be trying that again. Didn't try the Willy Wallace, fell asleep.

Made two 1 gallon demijohn using apple juice Lalvins champagne yeast and 125g of Lactose in each to keep some sweetness.

I used the honey method which gave a brew about 8% and reused the yeast residue, as a guy called Adam suggested, for the next brew. It's like one of those ginger beer plants that used to be popular. I haven't added yeast for the last 5 brews.

Brew No. 6 on the same yeast, no sugar added, one teaspoon of pectolase 24 hours before mixing. I'm looking for around 5%. The last brew with honey was a verging on the waspy arsed side. :shock: :shock:

dirtyturbo.jpg

Moved both of these to secondary. Gravity is 1.012 from 1.047. Tastes a little dry even with the addition of lacose. Maybe want to sweeten it when we bottle it on Saturday. Would we best advised to use more apple juice or maybe some honey. Any opinions and how much should we aim for per 500ml bottle?

Whats the honey method?

Hi Bugno

I usually put in about 220g of honey and shake it after the initial fermentation has died down, it ends up around 8.5%. There's no noticable extra sweetness but I like it dry and well chilled. I put chocolate in one batch but it didn't turn out well although I wasn't using Asda's own brand juice on that occasion. Without bottling and adding more sugar I think that decanting into a new jar and resting it for a couple of weeks gives a better drink.

Latest posts

Back