Refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like mine. It saves me messing around on brewday trying to cool hydrometer samples. It's a 0-18 Brix cheapo from ebay. I checked it against my hydrometer and it appears accurate enough.

It's no good after fermentation as the alcohol distorts the reflections.

You need a high range one for wine my 0-18 brix only goes to 1.072 a 0-32 brix is better for wine which goes to 1.128.

But the higher value ones are harder to read for the low values you're talking about with beer.

I've got a 0-18% for standard beers, and a 0-25% for bigger beers.

Right, if I find a cheap-ish one I'll be knocking on your door Tony :grin:

The one I'm watching is a Bellingham & Stanley eclipse Wine Refractometer with case and printed user guide - Model 45-22 Ziess scale 15-135.

Any good? :?

Think what you want to measure with it. Then if you multiply the Brix reading on the refractometer by 4 (approx) then you'll get the gravity reading.

Think what the maxium OG you're going to measure is going to be, then look at ebay. Probably a 0-18, a 0-25 or a 0-32.

You're looking around 15 quid.

cwrw said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alcohol-Refractometer-0-80-Beer-Whisky-Vodka-Wine-/250674206323?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Home_Brew&hash=item3a5d58d673

Alcohol Refractometer, 0-80% Beer, Whisky, Vodka, Wine

I've found this - it claims to be able to measure alcohol % - is this so or is it hogwash? :wha:
It does what it says on teh tin, adn it is probably reasonably accurate . . . . as long as you are measuring an alcohol / water mix . . . the minute you add another optically active compound to the mix (like glucose or a lot of other sugars) it becomes less so. . . . As an example my latest beer finished at 8.2 brix (By refractometer) which roughly comes out at 1.033 . . . but The hydrometer reading is 1.0125 . . . the difference between the two readings is down to the alcohol . . . When I used the formula to convert Brix to FG (Which also uses the OG) I get a refractometer value of 1.0129 . . .close enough.

The only time you will get an accurate reading from a hydrometer is before you pitch the yeast.

Eddie is it easy to use? Been thinking of getting one for awhile.

I seem to be constantly using the temp correction calculator for my hydrometer and think this would save some hassle, plus I love gadgets :D

Sean,

They are an absolute doddle to use . . you take a couple of drops of wart and put them on the 'window' put the cover down over the window . . .point it at a light source and read the value . . . . Gravity is about 4 times the reading . . . Ideally you do need to leave it for about 30 seconds before taking a value for the reading to stabilise, but that is all. As I said they are only accurate until you pitch the yeast, but with a calculator you can determine the 'real' gravity of fermented wort (I use the calculator in Promash to do so)

Thank AM, Just bought the one Eddie suggested 0-32%, sounds like its something even I couldn't mess up.

Most of my brews are fermented in a cupboard at 18-20c so use the hydrometer for determining when a brews finished. Problem is my brewhouse efficiency, which seems erratic at times, so the last few brews I've been taking intermittent readings and been using several different temp correction calculators to get the correct SG.
Difficult to sparge and use the PC at the same time :cool:

Aleman said:
. . . When I used the formula to convert Brix to FG (Which also uses the OG) I get a refractometer value of 1.0129 . . .close enough.

The only time you will get an accurate reading from a hydrometer is before you pitch the yeast.

Could you give me the calculation for this please AM? :grin:

I have found a model with Brix and SG displayed: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

The calculations are extremely complex, I cold not be bothered to work them out by hand and use the Refractometer utilities in Promash . . . Even if you don't buy the full version you get full access to all the calculators. . . . I wouldn't buy a dual scale hydrometer, it's too difficult to read . . . YMMV

I havnt actually used mine but i have used Muddydiscos when ive been to hie brewday there simple enough to use if you pm him he will email you the conversion chart :thumb:

Latest posts

Back