potential alcohol vs. S.G. scale on hydrometer ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris1275cc

Reaction score
First off i'm sorry to be "that guy" who joins a forum just to ask a question and as i'm new to this (and all forums in general) i'm sorry if this is in the wrong place or something, but this is doing my head in!

OK. ive been brewing wine and beer for along time so i know the science of how a hydrometer works, and i have used the same single scale one for years until this morning, when it became a 2 million piece jigsaw on my kitchen floor.
So off i popped to Wilkos to get a new fancy triple scale one. one of the scales is "potential % alcohol" the thing is when i compare the S.G. readings/calculations they don't tally with the P%A readings not even close.
Eg.
if OG 1.090 and FG is 1.030 then ABV is 7.9% (ish)
But when i use the potential alcohol scale (for the same brew):
Start 14.5% finish 4.8% so 14.5 - 4.8 = 9.7%

That's not even a good estimate and as a hydrometer is a linear scale there is no reason why it couldn't be.
Am i doing something wrong? Bad Hydrometer? or have i just got the wrong end of the stick? (wouldn't be the first time)

P.S. i made up the figures in the above calculations it's not an actual brew.

I am not sure I totally understand what your asking but the answer maybe the potential alcohol reading assumes the final gravity will be 1 exactly.

I am not sure I totally understand what your asking but the answer maybe the potential alcohol reading assumes the final gravity will be 1 exactly.

Thanks for replying so quickly. what i'm asking is Why are the results so different when i use the different scales. Even if the FG is assumed to be 1.000 on the scale that is 0% potential alcohol (no sugar left) the calculations still don't come out the same?
Eg.
OG 1.090 FG 1.000 = 11.8%
but on the P%A scale:
14.5 - 0 = 14.5%

I just checked mine and 1 I bought second hand with a barrel does show 11.8% on 1.090 while the wilko one I have is the same as yours. The only thing I can think is the wilko one assumes FG 0.966 or is just wrong.

Thanks again for replying ive done a little more research today on the hydrometer and ive found a possible explanation:
The scale is correct but it is not meant for home-brew use and should not be on a home-brew hydrometer (its a mistake). The potential % alcohol scale does not take into account the alcohol lost with the escape of co2 through the airlock during fermentation. The scale that is on most hydrometers is DESIRED % ALCOHOL witch does take the losses into account. So anyone with a wilko hyromiter should stick to the S.G. scale.
See pic http://picpaste.com/pics/master2nb8-RWLNderc.1440280810.jpg

The funny thing is the 2 hydrometers shown are the same manufacturer!

I just thought on my non wilko hydrometer is there any reason I can't take PA readings instead of OG & FG and just subtract the second reading from the 1st to get the ABV? Except I have no idea how to temperature correct these readings.

Latest posts

Back