How do you sterilise your Auto syphon?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevey

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bought a large autosyphon off ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Syph...r-Wine-/291386913447?var=&hash=item43d80372a7,
because I was worried that sucking the pipe would infect my beer.

Its taller than my fermenters and filling a bath with star san doesn't seem cost effective, so how do you sterilise it?
I currently syphon some solution into another vessel with it, but what about the inside of the larger tube and the outside of the smaller one.
How does everyone else do it? Am I worrying about nothing?:confused:

Wash it thoroughly after use for a start... then...

When I go to use it, pull it apart and spray everything from my scoosher bottle, inside, outside, down the hoses etc. and just sit in my sanitise tray until needed. I spray the big stuff down, only steep the small items...

I bought a large autosyphon off ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Syph...r-Wine-/291386913447?var=&hash=item43d80372a7,
because I was worried that sucking the pipe would infect my beer.

Its taller than my fermenters and filling a bath with star san doesn't seem cost effective, so how do you sterilise it?
I currently syphon some solution into another vessel with it, but what about the inside of the larger tube and the outside of the smaller one.
How does everyone else do it? Am I worrying about nothing?:confused:

I make 4.5 litres of star san from 3 x 1.5 litre volvic water bottles into a sterilising plastic kitchen sink bowl.

I auto syphon the star san into the fv, and then back again and spray the external auto syphon surfaces from a 'garden sprayer type bottle. The star san after use is poured back into the volvic bottles.

Thanks everyone, thats what I've sort of been doing, but squirting star san over don't seem as thorough as soaking it for 15 mins. Its probably because I'm new to star san, having always used wilkos stuff or milton tablets. I'm liking the reuseability of it though.

If you are sanitising a FV just use your syphon to empty it, let it run into a basin and top back up into the FV depending on how long you want to sterilise it for. I generally pull mine apart and clean it with sterile wash first, then run sanitiser thru it.

Just place the siphon into a bowl or bucket of sanitiser just like you would when siphoning and use the siphon like a pump to flush the sanitiser through into another container or the sink then repeat with clean hot water.

Thanks everyone, thats what I've sort of been doing, but squirting star san over don't seem as thorough as soaking it for 15 mins. Its probably because I'm new to star san, having always used wilkos stuff or milton tablets. I'm liking the reuseability of it though.

I think star San only needs 1 min contact time. I do the same as most others. Syphon the star San through and spray the outside parts that don't go into the fluid using a spray bottle.

Latest posts

Back