Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toredan

Reaction score
What bottles do you guys use and where do you get them from? Would be helpful noting which bottles are easy to de-label, clean and reuse. I tend to save lots of Doom Bar bottles. They're the foil labels and they come off super easy and the bottle itself has no real markings! Saving this how do you guys clear labels off the trickier bottles? Have access to loads of rekorderlig bottles but the labels are quite sticky!

My partner drinks various Thatchers ciders. I definitely don't recommend those. Plastic labels & indestructible glue. Sharp scraper and acetone required.

Rekorderlig bottles aren't great to use, very difficult to get a cap on unless you've got a bench capper.

Brothers cider bottles are my fave. Plain brown glass, nice shoulder and the labels are plastic. Soak overnight in hot sospy water and peel em off.

The labels on magners bottles come off on their own using the same method but there's no shoulder on the bottle.

Appart from that id avoid wytchwood brews, same as rekorderlig and anything from the bath brewery. You can use those bottles (they are good bottles and the beer is lovely) but the labels are awful. Leave a horrible glue behind when they peel off. You could probably get it off with meths but I can never be bothered and end up binning them.

Grolsh swingtops, no worries about capping and only a small shoulder label

I have bottles bought from brew shop and all sorts of commercial beer bottles. I have no interest in removing the labels though, can't see the point.

I posted an appeal on Facebook and offered to return some of the donated bottles refilled with beer to friends who donated.

The Guinness brewers project bottles are quite good, I spent a few hours soaking and scraping various bottles with awkward glue. The brewdog bottles peel quite nicely once started but only cone in 330ml or 660ml

I particularly like St Peters cream stout bottles. Great shape and good solid glass that should last for years. The labels unfortunately are plastic and leave horrible glue on the bottles - I remove it by wrapping tissue round the bottle, wetting it with white spirit & letting it stand for 5 minutes. Then take off the tissue & scrape the glue off with a stanley knife. Residues left then wipe off with a rag and more white spirit.
Bottles with a pronounced shoulder are the best as when you're pouring beer the deep shoulder traps any yeast sediment so you get more beer out before you have to stop.

I'm moving to Cornys but I've been recently been buying a couple of Grolsh Bottles each week out of B&M (£1.39 each). The beer isn't the best but the bottles are great.

I also bought some bottles from wilko.
67p a bottle ain't bad. (£4 for 6)

erdinger bottles, peel off in warm water no residue left.

the european imports that expect their bottles to be returned for a deposit have lables that come off easily. St feulian , pirate etc...

agree with OP wychwood bottles are the worst, followed by thornbridge, bottle is too dark to see how far you've filled up.

Adnams bottles and label removal is not too bad.

Badger and Marstons bottles both shed their labels at the sight of warm water. White shield are good, but the long neck is a bit of a pain. The Guinness brewers project bottles are good and with them cheap in Tesco there's lots to be found in bottle banks!

I got a phone call last night, pal of mine is a barman and I asked him to keep any Grolsch bottles for me. "Three young 'uns have been on Grolsch all night".. I was through the pub door before he put the phone down.

Delabeling at the moment! Do not use any sadlers bottles as takes an age to delabel!
Marstons and Badger are great as are the Brewdog bottles.

WARNING St Peters bottles do not, imho, tolerate as much stress as others - I had one St Peters in 40 bottles a few years ago and after 3 months the St Peters exploded.

Latest posts

Back