The REAL Bible?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bridger

Reaction score
So, the bible, which is it? I always though when people referred to "The Bible" they meant "How to brew" by John Palmer, but I now see some referring to "Home Brew Beer" by Greg hughes.

So which is your bible?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Didn't Jesus turn water into wine though so surely the bible has to be the ultimate brewers bible, I mean the man's surely got talent :mrgreen:

Mine is from God (what's the song that's just came to mind? I am the one and only!)
I have two Bibles,one is from Greg Hughes and the other is God breathed.
I just need to remember and lift the right one on a Sunday 😉

Mine is from God (what's the song that's just came to mind? I am the one and only!)
I have two Bibles,one is from Greg Hughes and the other is God breathed.
I just need to remember and lift the right one on a Sunday 😉
Chesney Hawkes? 😂

#SundayIsBrewday 😉

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think a lot of people like greg huges beacuse its easy straight forward and gives a solid recipe for pretty much every style.. even if you use this as a template its something for you to get started on any style..

I think a lot of people like greg huges beacuse its easy straight forward and gives a solid recipe for pretty much every style.. even if you use this as a template its something for you to get started on any style..

Never heard of the geezer but I bet it's safe to assume the reader needs degrees in in chemistry and maths and applied physics and refracted chromatology and.... Christ we make ale not some super-coolant for errant nuclear reactors.

Never heard of the geezer but I bet it's safe to assume the reader needs degrees in in chemistry and maths and applied physics and refracted chromatology and.... Christ we make ale not some super-coolant for errant nuclear reactors.

No thats the whole point its easy reading.. John Palmer's is much more indepth.

I use the diy dog as my go to for most of my brews. I've got Gregg Hughes book but haven't brewed anything from it yet.

There's much exaggeration about chemistry and science in How to Brew, it's almost entirely down-to-earth brewing in a bucket style stuff with a few really detailed expos and some appendices with science in them. Haven't seen Greg Hughes' book.

Yep, I'm probably the only Jesus loving home brewer

Remember what Friar Tuck says in Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves;

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about… beer!"

(I think you should have this quote as your signature)

But surely you agree that it's better to know why to do something rather than simply how?

Yep, I'm probably the only Jesus loving home brewer 👍

No, in fact I think it is in Proverbs there is a line: "Give beer to the infirm and wine to the old men." I think I qualify on both counts - isn't God great?

But surely you agree that it's better to know why to do something rather than simply how?

For sure..... up to a point. And if these tomes are so simple and to-the-point they must be full of recipes? It doesn't take half a rain forest's worth of paper to explain brewing techniques and whys and wherefores. It's like a car owner reading the Haynes manual from cover to cover. I bet ours is not the only drum in the land which is full of cookery/recipe books from which about 2 have actually been attempted! I blame the missus for that but they do come in handy as door-stoppers or something to stand on to reach a high shelf now and again.

For sure..... up to a point. And if these tomes are so simple and to-the-point they must be full of recipes? It doesn't take half a rain forest's worth of paper to explain brewing techniques and whys and wherefores. It's like a car owner reading the Haynes manual from cover to cover. I bet ours is not the only drum in the land which is full of cookery/recipe books from which about 2 have actually been attempted! I blame the missus for that but they do come in handy as door-stoppers or something to stand on to reach a high shelf now and again.

Which tomes are you talking about?

The problem I have with Palmer's, like most American brewing books, is they have their own interpretation of British beers that bear little resemblance to the beers we drink here. Over the years I have read a lot on water chemistry but find Palmers incomprehensible.

Back