Raspberry and lemon Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeck

Tight Ass Jock
Reaction score
I got a load of organic raspberries with my nectarines from the cheapy counter a few weeks ago and have added a further 600g of frozen ones from Farmfoods to try this.

1.8kg raspberries
1 lemon
1.5kg sugar
2 ltr water
1ltr Sainsbury RGJ (cheaper than Aldi)

Thawed the rasps, stuck them in the blender then boiled with a ltr of water for 45 minutes.
Added the sugar, juice of the lemon, pecto and another ltr of water and left for a couple of days for the flavour to come out.

I intend to strain out the rasps tomorrow and start fermentation.

I am going to add more RGJ and probably more water once I check the SG.

Taste will determine the final volume but I suspect this may be a 7 or 8ltr batch. Will probably add a lemon or 2 more.

You can't call it raspberry & lemon when you only used 1 lemon! I put 2 lemons in elderflower and many wines, you need at least 6 lemons to call it that the citric from 1 lemon will be used up in no time and will hardly notice in the final wine.

Off course you call it anything you like. :lol:

Okay the rasps have now been strained mostly out and the recipe adjusted to taste

1.8kg raspberries
Juice of 3 large lemons
1.5kg sugar
3 ltr water
1ltr Sainsbury RGJ (cheaper than Aldi)

At this point the lemon was very noticeable and complimented the rasps. I did not want to add more in case the lemons dominated.

SG 1.050

Added another spoon of pecto which caused a reaction like piranhas going for a skinny dipper.

Added yeast and nutrient.

All still in large FV until initial fermentation settles.

I've racked this batch twice in the last fortnight and it is crystal clear without and finings or filtering.

There was a lot of dissolved gas which I've dispensed with and bottled up.

The taste is very strongly of sharp raspberries with a hint of lemon, and it has a sharp citrus/acid bite. I was prepared to dilute a bit but the Mrs said leave as is.

SG finished at 0.985 for 8.5%. A bit disappointing but I was more interested in a strong taste than high alcohol content.

I'm going to leave this for a bit to mature. The experience with using real raspberries has been beyond my expectations. Unfortunately I cant find anywhere I can pick my own in under a 2 hour drive, and fresh or frozen from the supermarket are still too expensive. Pity as i would really like to try a cider with real raspberries.

Latest posts

Back