Vacuvin used for Syphon Suction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBeer

Brew Pub Brewer
Reaction score
I have often wondered on bottling days, is there a simple alternative to sticking the tubing in your mouth and sucking, after having religiously sterilised everything else. I started with the idea of creating a peristaltic (pipe squeezing) pump and pulling the tube through two close fitting rollers to create a vacuum, but I couldn't get the tolerances right to create the suction.

I then started looking around the house for something else that could do the job, when I found an old Vacuvin stopper, those grey rubber stoppers that go in a half drunk wine bottle and allow the excess air to be pumped out to preserve the remaining wine (it hasn't been used in my house for many years.) :whistle:

The tube fitted nicely inside the stopper and two pumps filled the tube, so I could bend it over and put a bulldog clip over it, allowing me to take the stopper off and fit the bottling cane on. Worked a treat.:grin:

I use a spare syphon tube tap and a short piece of syphon tube connected to it to get the flow started i then remove the tap and tube.

2 options

1. get an auto syphen
2. fill the tube with starsan then put 1 end in the beer and the other aiming at a spair bucket then take your thumb off the end and wait for the beer/wine to come through and re direct to what ever you are syphening in to

My Grandad's method of syphoning petrol was to thread a length of string through the hose, tie a ball of cotton on the end and pull the cotton just into the hose end, put hose end in petrol tank and pull the string and cotton through. Works every time.

I've always used an auto siphon as couldn't get on with sucking a tube to get it started. Vacuvin stopper is a pretty damn good way to improvise, adapt, overcome though! :thumb:

my siphon tube is terminated with a simple tap, i have a short length of easy to sanitise tube i use to temporarily fix to the out spout of the tap onto which i can slobber and suck and remove once the siphon has formed and before valuable beer meets it.

I use a spare syphon tube tap and a short piece of syphon tube connected to it to get the flow started i then remove the tap and tube.
I do much the same except I put a small piece of tube on the end of the tap and just remove the short piece of tube before my beer runs through it, leaving the tap in place, it's easy to turn the tap off just before your beer gets to it, slip the short piece of tube off then fill your bottles ect

Latest posts

Back