PH clarification.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, having a brew day to test a mash tun basically a converted fermenter for a mate so thought I would check my pH using pH strips and by guessing it looks to be around 5.7 with no additives.Any thoughts.
1cd954f82167df068738b77bc181bbb1.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

The problem with those paper strips is that they are difficult to read, plus they aren't terribly accurate anyway, even the narrow range strips aren't that good. That being said, a pH of 5.7 is about what I'd expect from low to moderately hard water and a typical pale/amber brew. A small acid malt addition would probably be beneficial.

Is it rainwater? Have the test strips been stored correctly? Some test strips need to be a few minutes in the solution, also you have a .3 pH reading variant.

The problem with those paper strips is that they are difficult to read, plus they aren't terribly accurate anyway, even the narrow range strips aren't that good. That being said, a pH of 5.7 is about what I'd expect from low to moderately hard water and a typical pale/amber brew. A small acid malt addition would probably be beneficial.
This was actually dipped in the wort after the mash and had been contemplating adding some acidulated grain to it this morning as I had ordered some for a stout though decided not to bother.
May invest in a pH meter at some stage but was just curious today.
Thanks again for the reply Steve.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back