Festival Razorback possibly gone bad

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spike101uk

Regular.
Reaction score
Hopefully the pics have worked it's day eleven in fermenter at 20-22 degrees it's got this foam/krausen on the top and it smells of Scrumpy cider.

Is this normal or has this gone bad and shall I ditch it and try again

20170730_150003.jpg

20170730_145954.jpg

I bottled one of these a week ago. Can't remember exactly how the krausen looked but I do remember a bit of a smell from it. Looks normal enough to me from the pictures. I wouldn't be dumping it personally.

I bottled one of these a week ago. Can't remember exactly how the krausen looked but I do remember a bit of a smell from it. Looks normal enough to me from the pictures. I wouldn't be dumping it personally.

That's positive news, cheers,

It's been stable at 1010 for 3 days now but obviously still the foam, shall I leave it another week or rack to secondary and add the hops for 5 days

I would probably dry hop in the primary myself to try and filter out the hops during racking. I don't generally secondary ferment anyway.
I batch prime so it gets racked to a bottling bucket immediately before bottling.
Leaving it for longer is going to be for the best probably but if the SG has been steady for three days you should be fine to dry hop and bottle in four or five days.

shall I leave it another week or rack to secondary and add the hops for 5 days
Personally I would leave it until the krausen drops or another 5/6 days whichever comes first, rack off, add the hops and leave it a further 5/6 days.
There's no rush.
You should be aiming to package nearly clear beer, full of hoppy goodness. :thumb:

I would probably dry hop in the primary myself to try and filter out the hops during racking. I don't generally secondary ferment anyway.
I batch prime so it gets racked to a bottling bucket immediately before bottling.
Leaving it for longer is going to be for the best probably but if the SG has been steady for three days you should be fine to dry hop and bottle in four or five days.

I agree, I have done this kit numerous times it all looks fine. Once you add the dry hops the Krausen will drop quite quickly.

Ok so I left it 5 days and dry Hopped seems to be improving.

Also what starting gravity did you guys get mine was 1058 and now 1006 but every kit I've done I've always got exactly 10 more than predicted SG, if it's in reality1048 that would make it 5.5% as per guide and not 6.8%

Incorrect hydrometer readings are usually caused by 'operator error' or hydrometers being out of scale. Test your hydrometer in water at it's calibration temperature (often 20*C) and it should read 1.000.
Other reasons for incorrect readings include poor mixing especially DME still as solids, and measuring at temperatures well away from the calibration temperature so that correction should be applied.

Just corny kegged this after 22 days in primary, I plan to force carb but going to leave flat untill it's aged a bit even though it's almost crystal clear now, would I be better leaving in a fridge thays about 8-10 degrees or outside the fridge that's 18-22 for the aging duration

Ok so I left it 5 days and dry Hopped seems to be improving.

Also what starting gravity did you guys get mine was 1058 and now 1006 but every kit I've done I've always got exactly 10 more than predicted SG, if it's in reality1048 that would make it 5.5% as per guide and not 6.8%

I understand what you are saying but... if you use the same hydrometer for both readings, surely it will be 10 out each time? Therefore the difference between the two readings will be the same for the abv calculation. So the abv would still be the 6.8%.

However, I don't believe that your current reading could be 996, so I would check how your hydrometer reads in water as suggested by terrym.

Usually an OG reading is low because all the extract hasn't really been mixed properly. However you suggest that your reading is higher than expected. This suggests either something is wrong with the hydrometer or your reading...or your beer could really be 6.8% :D Whichever it is, as long as it tastes ok, enjoy!

Latest posts

Back