Hey hey!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivapayne

Reaction score
Good evening all!

I'm a total novice looking at getting started. Trying to figure out a decent starter kit to purchase and work out where I can store the barrels whilst the magic happens!

Any and all advice is welcome! I'm figuring that I need to start with a couple of standard brews from a kit before I try something a little more adventurous!

Thanks!!
Payne

Welcome to the Forum.

Take a look at the Wilcos site and maybe go for a "Kit with everything." as a start.

www.wilko.com/cider+beer-brewing/woodf…

Not cheap but everything you need for your first brew and (apart from bottles and Kits) many brews to come.

The Woodfordes Wherry was my "go to" kit before I started All Grain and it will always be a delicious pint.

Regardless of how you start, always choose a beer that you like, be patient and get your second and third brews on BEFORE you even taste the first one! :thumb:

Enjoy! :thumb:

Great, thank you! I'll have a look in a moment at that.

I'm thinking something quite light and golden to start with, but need to see what's available really.

Will be looking around the forum for some ideas and pointers.

Hi and welcome,

I'm fairly new myself (Christmas past) and would recommend avoiding a dry hop kit for the first few brews. My first two were youngs American pale ale and although they turned out good there is a bit of faffing for a complete beginner. Having said that, jumping in at the deep end gets you learning a bit quicker!

I would also try not to use table sugar. If the kit calls for say 1kg of sugar, substitute that for dried malt extract or brew enhancer. Table sugar is fine for priming though as the amounts are so insignificant.

Make sure everything that's going to touch your beer is well cleaned and sanitised.

Be patient, chill out, leave it alone and it should taste better than Most stuff available commercially

I would recommend getting some starsan. It is about 20 quid a bottle and it adds a fair chunk to the total bill for starting out which is very off putting. However if you add (I think) 1.5ml-2ml to a litre spray bottle and use that to coat everything that 20 quid bottle is going to last a very long time.

Good evening all!

I'm a total novice looking at getting started. Trying to figure out a decent starter kit to purchase and work out where I can store the barrels whilst the magic happens!

Any and all advice is welcome! I'm figuring that I need to start with a couple of standard brews from a kit before I try something a little more adventurous!

Thanks!!
Payne
Welcome to the forum.
Try this it might be useful.
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
Plenty of reviews of kits here
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61597
If you like light beers suggest Coopers Australian Pale Ale which is a one can and will need extra malt extract and/or brewing sugar, or Youngs American Pale Ale or Youngs American IPA which include everything you need including hops for a dry hop.
Finally think simple to start with to get your technique right.

Welcome to the forum. Ask anything. There are a ton of great brewers on here.

Thanks for the pointers, links and advice!

I think I've found where I can store the barrels whilst the brewing happens, I just need to clear the space out a bit!!

Will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again

welcome to the madness! minimum is 2 fermenters, 1 capper and tubing for syphoning and a collection of empty bottles and most important of all is sterilising and cleaning solution, a beer kit and oh yes and a load of ....patience!
good luck, stick to easy 1 can kits for a while, get comfortable doing those and then start adding bits, at least then if you have a blow out you havent wasted too much, but enjoy yourself!!!

Welcome to the Forum.

Take a look at the Wilcos site and maybe go for a "Kit with everything." as a start.

www.wilko.com/cider+beer-brewing/woodf…

Not cheap but everything you need for your first brew and (apart from bottles and Kits) many brews to come.

The Woodfordes Wherry was my "go to" kit before I started All Grain and it will always be a delicious pint.

Regardless of how you start, always choose a beer that you like, be patient and get your second and third brews on BEFORE you even taste the first one! :thumb:

Enjoy! :thumb:

Sound advice from Dutto :thumb:

- Welcome to the forum btw..!

Back