Summer Holidays!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I'd update (and maybe others will too ;))...

Our break went well, this was despite getting home from work on the Friday, totally losing it with my eldest at bedtime (he was really pushing the limits) and threatening to call the whole thing off :-( The missus talked me round.

Really nice campsite, only 20 pitches for tents/camper/caravans attached to a very quiet static site. The owners had left the centre of the field open with a couple of football goals, my two soon made friends and were off playing most evenings :thumb:

Lovely bit of the world, we had a few beach days at Broadhaven, Whitesands and Newgale, managed to get some body boarding in each time which was great fun. Particularly big surf on the last day. Also had the eldest riding a few small waves into the shore on my board which he loved.

Explored along the coast and did a trip down to Manorbier, Saundersfoot and Tenby. Spent a day at Oakwood theme park too courtesy of Tesco clubcard vouchers, wouldn't have been happy to have paid to go in there as it was unfortunately very run down but the kids liked it.

Only one particularly wet day where we sort refuge at the local leisure centre for a swim, by the time we'd done that it had brightened up. Tent survived some pretty windy and rainy nights. Local supermarket had a good selection of local beer and cider so had to sample a fair few of those :D

Week two was nice being at home, went ten pin bowling with our two which we'd not done before, they loved it. Had a day at Warwick Castle (Tesco again!), this was great, the falconry displays and jousting really made it. Another wet day spent at the local leisure pool (flume+wave machine). Finished the week off with the Worcester show though unfortunately the wife brought the in-laws along so I ended up driving them, no cider/perry bar for me :evil:

Good couple of weeks, just a shame to be back at work, at least there's a bank holiday next weekend. :thumb:

Glad you enjoyed Pembrokeshire. If I had know I could have recommended a few breweries and pubs with Tenby brew company being the best in the region, they also have a nice bar in Tenby with great food and a bottle shop

Bumping for 2018!

So early this year we put a deposit down on this:

van1_crop.jpg

The dealers we got it from is on a farm with a rally field next door so they let you have an overnight stay in your 'van when collecting to try everything out. This was mid March and it snowed overnight! At least we knew the heating worked okay :D

First actual trip away was to join in on an Easter family gathering in Suffolk, on the coast near Dunwich. Good to get some miles under my belt with it. Also quickly discovered that rear wheel drive cars, caravans and muddy fields don't mix, good to know I guess!

We went to the Forest of Dean for 4 nights during the Whitsun half term week which was pretty good.

Summer plans are currently for a week in the New Forest / south coast staying on a site near Burley at the start of the school holidays. Then a week on the Gower in south Wales (praying for beach weather) leading up to the bank holiday weekend. Got a few days of annual leave left so might have a trip away during the autumn half term week before putting it away for the winter. Might have the odd weekend somewhere more local if time allows too.

What's everyone else up to? acheers.

Nothing booked unfortunately apart from a couple of days away here and there. New house put a stop to any bigger plans. Like the idea of a caravan. May need further research

Had some joy earlier this year with a PPI claim and it has funded our holiday, first foreign holiday for over 10 years, kids are totally made up as they have never been further south than Weymouth, and never on a plane of any sort.

Unfortunately it will be a bit of a one off, certainly not the funds and back to camping next year.

brussels for 3 nights with a trip to koln on a db ice and 1 night in ypres. Then load the car with crates of belgians :rolleyes: of the type I can't brew myself. will get to the delerium cafe this time! and may re-visit a la becasse.

We just got back from staying at my parent's house in Rojales, Spain. It was the first time we've been away with our 7 month old daughter. Taking a baby on holiday is a different experience!

She was fine on the flights, but was a pain in the evenings because she wouldn't go down to sleep, as her routine had gone out of the window...especially on the first night due to late flight.

Also, we usually relax by the pool and read during the day. Not on this holiday unfortunately...having to attend to little madam who gets bored very easily.

Despite the above, it was nice to get away. Also, carrying her stuff to/around/from the airport wasn't the nightmare I expected it to be.

We just got back from staying at my parent's house in Rojales, Spain. It was the first time we've been away with our 7 month old daughter. Taking a baby on holiday is a different experience!

She was fine on the flights, but was a pain in the evenings because she wouldn't go down to sleep, as her routine had gone out of the window...especially on the first night due to late flight.

Also, we usually relax by the pool and read during the day. Not on this holiday unfortunately...having to attend to little madam who gets bored very easily.

Despite the above, it was nice to get away. Also, carrying her stuff to/around/from the airport wasn't the nightmare I expected it to be.

Tell me about it!

We had a last blast holiday the summer (outside of school holidays) before my eldest started school, two weeks in a villa on the Algarve. In my head I was going to be lounging around the pool and enjoying the sunsets in the evenings with a cold beer in my hand but having a 2 & 4 year old with us put paid to that. It was fun but not really very relaxing. Can't afford it now as holidays are limited to school holidays hence the caravan :D

Tell me about it!

We had a last blast holiday the summer (outside of school holidays) before my eldest started school, two weeks in a villa on the Algarve. In my head I was going to be lounging around the pool and enjoying the sunsets in the evenings with a cold beer in my hand but having a 2 & 4 year old with us put paid to that. It was fun but not really very relaxing. Can't afford it now as holidays are limited to school holidays hence the caravan :D

We've got a few years before she starts school, so will be getting in some good holidays before being ripped off for 11 years!

Yes holidays are never the same once you a) have little ones in tow b) when they start school.

Enjoy your holidays before (a) and also holidays before (b) start.

They are not “worse” but they are very different from anything before. But they do get better.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes holidays are never the same once you a) have little ones in tow b) when they start school.

Enjoy your holidays before (a) and also holidays before (b) start.

They are not “worse” but they are very different from anything before. But they do get better.......

Holiday for our family of 4..... 16 days in a friends villa in Spain. 15 mins from Murcia airport. Fly in 4 weeks [emoji41]

Off to Florida next week with my wife and 5 year old. Summer school holidays start earlier in NI. Can't wait, holidays are certainly different since my son came along but I'll still get an opportunity for a beer here and there. I have discovered there is a micro-brewery pub that does carry out growlers near to where we are staying. So I think I will be calling in there on the way back from the parks and will have a few when he goes to bed.

I always tell the parents of youngsters "This first nineteen years are the worst then, if you're lucky, they leave home and you will have a couple of years before they return with their own offspring and expect you to baby-sit!"

However, it's great when you jump a generation, hand them back to their Mum and plead old age!

In October we are taking our 5 year old great-granddaughter to Paris for a few days; hopefully to see the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame via a boat-trip up the Seine and then to Disneyland. Here's hoping that she remembers the visit for all the right reasons! :cheers7:

In 4 weeks time we'll be going back to Turkey for a fortnight. It'll be a different part of Turkey compared to where we normally go but the assurance that Efes will be available means it'll be wonderful as usual [emoji3][emoji481]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In 4 weeks time we'll be going back to Turkey for a fortnight. It'll be a different part of Turkey compared to where we normally go but the assurance that Efes will be available means it'll be wonderful as usual [emoji3][emoji481]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Me too in 4 weeks, marmaris for me again, which part are you going?

Kreta this time, I had hoped for St. Petersburg & Moscow but the missus thinks it's unstable :(
So it's off to beaches, temps of >30º and only lager....

Back