New grass snake discovered in the UK.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this -

It used to be thought there was just one overall species of grass snake plus a number of subspecies that varied in appearance. Professor Uwe Fritz, from the Senckenberg Research Institute in Germany, who led the international team of researchers, said: "We studied two areas where different genetic lineages of the grass snake come into contact. "We discovered that the barred grass snake, previously considered a subspecies, is in fact a distinct species.
"The barred grass snake is widely distributed throughout Great Britain, Switzerland, Italy and France, and also occurs in the western part of Germany. "Thus, the number of European snake species has increased by one." The scientists looked at the genetic identity of more than 1,600 grass snakes, including many specimens in museum collections. Grass snakes in two "contact zones", where different genetic lineages of the animals met, were studied in more detail. One zone was in the Rhine region while the other extended from central Germany to the southern Balkans. The scientists found evidence of reproductive barriers that indicated the barred grass snake was a separate species.
The discovery, described in the journal Scientific Reports, could have implications for grass snake conservation, said the researchers. In the UK, the grass snake is protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act, making it a criminal offence to injure or kill the animals. "We now have to pay close attention to which species of grass snake is involved in each case, in order to be able to assess whether one of them may be more threatened than previously thought," said Prof Fritz.

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/environment/new-snake-species-discovered-in-england-1-8690806

...I recon M has a tasteful selection of gentleman's cranial attire.....

The one at the top is thirty years old and was in need of replacement!

The one in the middle was one I bought in Los Angeles when I "lost" the old one. (The lost hat was returned from Houston a month later! :thumb:)

The one at the bottom is winter weight canvas.

Expensive to buy but just love the Lifetime Guarantee! :thumb:

IMG_0418.jpg

The one at the top is thirty years old and was in need of replacement!

The one in the middle was one I bought in Los Angeles when I "lost" the old one. (The lost hat was returned from Houston a month later! :thumb:)

The one at the bottom is winter weight canvas.

Expensive to buy but just love the Lifetime Guarantee! :thumb:
Christ Dutto, I just looked up how much they cost, you used to be able to buy 4 suits from Burtons or John Colliers for that amount.:doh:

Christ Dutto, I just looked up how much they cost, you used to be able to buy 4 suits from Burtons or John Colliers for that amount.:doh:

That brought back memories!

A lot of jokes definitely have a "shelf life" and your comment brought back the one of three men sat in the doctor's waiting room.

One of the men had obviously had a hand shot off and an inquisitive patient opposite asked "Where'd you get that then?" and indicated the missing hand.

"Normandy Landings." was the curt reply.

The inquisitor made sympathetic sounds and looked at the man sitting next to him, who had no hands showing below the cuffs of his jacket.

"Where'd you get that then?" he asked.

"Burton's! Worse bloody suit I've ever owned!" was the reply!

Happy Days! :lol: :lol:

With regard to Tilley Hats, they are well worth the money as they are literally "for life" ... :thumb:

... right up until you lose it! :doh:

Anticipating the BBC news article with Richard Schuckman (or whatever ) where the blame can be put on global warming. Just like the complete and tragic absence of elderberries around here this year.

Anticipating the BBC news article with Richard Schuckman (or whatever ) where the blame can be put on global warming. Just like the complete and tragic absence of elderberries around here this year.

As a man who doesn't believe in Global Warming I expect you to come up with a better (and scientifically proven) reason then! :thumb: :thumb:

...I might just treat myself to a hat!
Been looking around. ...check out houghtons hats.Co. UK. ...too good to be true?
Rates as "suspicious "possible sources US or China. ..I won't bother!

I got bitten by an adder many years ago when I was living in Kent.
I was looking for a lost long-range boomerang in the middle of a pine forest clearing. Jumping from tree stump to tree stump, I didn't notice the four or five snakes curled up on one 'til it was too late!
Bloody painful!!!
We were about two miles from the car, but fortunately, I had a rucksack full of beer.
Pain had mostly gone by the time we got back. (Unlike the lump the size and colour of a cricket ball on my leg...)

As a man who doesn't believe in Global Warming I expect you to come up with a better (and scientifically proven) reason then! :thumb: :thumb:

They sure didn't get here by falling from the sky. How about the lack of elderberries? According to the global warming nutjacks from back in the day, we ought to be growing banans and date palms in our backyards by now.

Latest posts

Back