Van hits crowds in Barcelona

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Here we go again.

Summary

Officials say 13 killed and at least 50 injured when van crashes into crowd

Police say the incident is being treated as a terrorist attack

One person has been arrested, but it's not clear if it is the driver

People took cover in nearby shops and cafes

The famous Las Ramblas boulevard is a tourist hotspot

Police release picture of suspect

Police in Barcelona have released a picture of the man who allegedly rented the van used in the attack.

Driss Oukabir, in his 20s, was born in Morocco, according to local media.

d3d19226-e560-4523-9fa0-6a34e2329041.jpg

Candlelit vigil, sing some songs, light up landmark buildings, condemn attacks, 'stand together'.

And sit and wait for the next attack to come along. Which it will.

Absolutely, where..who knows, when...who knows, but it will, time and time again. God bless those and their family's and loved ones who died.

We keep hearing about foiled attacks if that is the case why are they not giving details.

Why do they use a vehicle to kill it doesn't take much imagination to think of ways you could easily wipe out hundreds in one go.

Now they are reporting a van full of suspects turned over and 5 people got out wearing explosives they were all shot by police and non of them set their vests off, call me an old synic but I smell BS.

Candlelit vigil, sing some songs, light up landmark buildings, condemn attacks, 'stand together'.

And sit and wait for the next attack to come along. Which it will.

And probably change your facebook profile filter to a Catalonia flag

I feel truly awful for those involved, another deplorable attack. Whilst I do agree with the notion we should 'stand together' I think wish more could be done than sit back and hope they foil the next attack.

Thing is how do you stop someone mowing into a crowd with something everyone has access too..

:-(

I see the child isis soldiers are fleeing to Europe:twisted::twisted::twisted:
Let em all in,why not,no one has a clue who is in Europe anyway:twisted:

Interesting to me, in the sense that "Las Ramblas" is somewhere I have actually been, as well, that is, as the MEN arena behind Victoria Station in Manchester, where I have been at least a thousand times.

In a sense, Las Ramblas would exemplify the lifestyles that the perpetrators of these atrocities despise.

Meanwhile, the supporters of the lifestyles we all actually want seem torn apart by their bizarre tribal rivalries.

And probably change your facebook profile filter to a Catalonia flag

I feel truly awful for those involved, another deplorable attack. Whilst I do agree with the notion we should 'stand together' I think wish more could be done than sit back and hope they foil the next attack.

Thing is how do you stop someone mowing into a crowd with something everyone has access too..

:-(

on google street view you can see how easy it was to get a vehicle onto the pedestrian area. a couple of bollards would have stopped this. We need to harden our public spaces just as it professionals harden computers against cyber attacks. It won't markedly reduce our freedoms.

Sadly, we now live in a world where respect for our perceived freedoms, do not matter a toss to those with different views.

I only hope we can all as global society wake up and be more physically and practically preventative in our societies. Just not down the Yankee Trumpets rout,,,,

It may not suit everyone, but we need to wake up and be more proactively protective of our rights and prevent the atrocities we are becoming forced to endure.

Bollards should be mandatory and auto tyre rip spikes on every urban access route. This is now our reality. Happy to pay more to get it sorted.

Yesterday's stabbings in Finland confirmed by Police as a terror attack. It's almost becoming a daily occurrence now.

Also news of an attack in Russia though not confirmed as terrorism yet.

Bollards should be mandatory and auto tyre rip spikes on every urban access route. This is now our reality. Happy to pay more to get it sorted.

The trouble is if you stop them driving into crowds they will find another way of killing people and they may even find a way of killing hundreds at a time not just the unlucky few.

on google street view you can see how easy it was to get a vehicle onto the pedestrian area. a couple of bollards would have stopped this. We need to harden our public spaces just as it professionals harden computers against cyber attacks. It won't markedly reduce our freedoms.

They've done just that in central London. Many (if not all) of the bridges, as well as other areas, have large concrete bollards to stops vehicles mounting the pavement.

The question is, how many stashes like this one are there, and how long is it going to be before we see a cadre of salafist killers unleash horror on a crowd at a major event?

I have a client (with learning disabilities) who often watches the news then completely misunderstands what he's seen.
I was in the pub with him today and the chelsea/spurs match was on. Beforehand, like most football matches across Europe (and futher afield?) their was a minute's silence before the match to remember the victims of the attacks in Barcelona.
I little later during the match (he had obviously been thinking about it), he turned to me and asked if the minutes silence was because Bruce Forsyth had died :lol:

They've done just that in central London. Many (if not all) of the bridges, as well as other areas, have large concrete bollards to stops vehicles mounting the pavement.

They don't even have to look ugly either. In Canary Wharf where I work at the moment Very Large planters appeared in front of the main landmark towers shortly after that nutjob drove into Glasgow airport terminal years ago and got a kick in the nuts from a local Scot for his trouble. Lots more have appeared since then and they actually look quite good in spring when all the flowers are out.

The question is, how many stashes like this one are there, and how long is it going to be before we see a cadre of salafist killers unleash horror on a crowd at a major event?

Google "IRA arms cache", check out the images and what you will see makes this lot look like a Bonfire Night bundle for the kiddies!

The nutters have been with us for generations and they always arm themselves to the teeth in the hope of changing society.

The good news is that in the long run they always fail because passionate belief is ultimately superseded by self interest. :thumb:

Unfortunately, this in turn produces another batch of nutters and the wheel of life turns yet again! :doh:

"The good news is that in the long run they always fail".
They didn't fail in Lebanon. They transformed a secular democracy into an Islamist hellhole. If you think the same can't happen to Europe, you are wrong!

"We need to harden our public spaces just as it professionals harden computers against cyber attacks".
Wouldn't it be better if public policy created a society where we didn't have to?

As the site doesn't appear to allow video links, check out "#Barcelona & the DEADLY CULT of Diversity" on YouTube.

The trouble is if you stop them driving into crowds they will find another way of killing people and they may even find a way of killing hundreds at a time not just the unlucky few.

We have to evolve with them, if they are going to find other ways then we will have to anticipate them before they happen. Since we are a soft target for terrorist's we are always going to be in danger of attacks, Russia abandons any human rights they may have to deal with terrorist's, we should be doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back