Selection Kit Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banksy

Reaction score
Hello Gentleman (and Ladies),

Please may I have some help regarding a selection merlot. :wha:

1. I have left if after the 2ndry fermentation for 2.5 months, but the kit says min 10 days. Is this ok? I hope I haven't wrecked a £70 kit. :pray:
2. I discovered to my horror some mould in the bubbler, but not beyond the 'inside' water level. Ditto above, have I wrecked a £70 kit? :pray:
3. I am about to start the clearing section and plan to add potassium metabisulphite to 'prevent oxidation'. Is there anything else I should do to help preserve this batch? :wha:

Thanks all for your assistance :?:

Shouldn't be anything wrong in there in my opinion. For the future use sterilising solution in the airlock and you won't have that fright.

If you're going to clear then degassing may help (I think it's covered in the instructions on Selection kits) but in my opinion, patience is 99% of what's required to clear wine. If you've left it ten weeks, you must have enough patience.

My merlot's sitting under the floorboards: it's been there six months, is due a racking and has another six months to go before I try it. Patience.

Good luck!

Onionman

Back