A sad day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
My Father in law passed away this morning and as he made a big contribution to the brewing world I thought I should post a small tribute to him. In the early 60s he joined a company called Home Grown cereals. A government funded company that was set up to make the country more self-sufficient in the basic food cereals. At the time we were importing large amounts. As a research chemist he was appointed technical manager, his brief was improving yields and to set up storage facility's country wide to store grain all year round. His company liaised with the research lab where Maris Otter was developed and then worked helping farmers to grow it and maltsters and brewers use it with great success. He also worked with the major bakers and distillers and unfortunately politicians for whom he never had a good word. In his heyday he was considered one of the leading experts in grain in Europe and was rewarded with the MBE for his work which has saved the country millions over the the last 40 years. RIP John Wright.

a sad day indeed Dennis....my condolences

sorry to hear of your loss. my thoughts go out to you and your family

As a home brewer and a baker it is a sad day when someone with such an influence on both industries passes.

Condolences to you and your family

Well the nip o' Monkey Shoulder by my right hand will be drunk to him. Chances are some of the malt in the malts blended in my glass were something to do with his life's work.

Here's tae ye wi' a thoosand thanks!

Heartfelt condolences to you and yours.

Sorry to hear that Dennis, condolences to you & your family.

Joe

Sorry to hear that Dennis. My thoughts go out to you and your family. :thumb:

so very Sorry for your loss...
this is indeed a very sad day ...
my thoughts are with you ...

regards mick... :hat:

Thank you all for your kind words. Would just like to share with an example of his knowledge of grains. In the early 80s while enjoin a lunchtime pint with John a friend told me a home brew stall had opened in our local market. After leaving the pub we went to the market and one thing the stall was selling was crushed pale malt from an unmarked sack, weighing out whatever amount you wanted, deep joy for me until he scooped up a handful and studied it only to proclaim this malt is such poor quality it should only be sold as animal feed. I did feel sorry for the guy who had bought it in good faith and it certainly looked OK to me. He also told me after he was 99% sure it was of Canadian origin not UK. I decided not buy any.

Latest posts

Back