Best Beer in the World

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asalpaws

Landlord.
Reaction score
Westvleteren 12

I doubt it's the best in the world which ultimately will be a personal choice, however interesting enough for me to research a clone. I came across Sean Bean meme, which made me laugh:

sevety8a.jpg

Apparently, you have to put your name down on a waiting list and go to the Abbey in Belgium to get some. Easier to try and make my own! T

know its a mass-produced, commercial beer but my vote for best beer in the world is black nectar, Guinness. I must have tried 500+ different beers in my lifetime but none have surpassed a perfectly pulled pint of the black stuff :drink:

cwiseman77 said:
know its a mass-produced, commercial beer but my vote for best beer in the world is black nectar, Guinness. I must have tried 500+ different beers in my lifetime but none have surpassed a perfectly pulled pint of the black stuff :drink:

I used to think that until I brewed Alemans Effin Oatmeal stout now no other stout will do.

Guinness is no longer the drink it once was, not how I remember it being served in The Irish Centre In Liverpool in the 1980's with a lovely inch of creamy head.

However for a commercial stout the best I have had in recent years was Robinsons Black Beauty, it also had the advantage of being hand pulled from a cask, none of that nitro *****, simply sublime.

:thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
cwiseman77 said:

I used to think that until I brewed Alemans Effin Oatmeal stout now no other stout will do.

Guinness is no longer the drink it once was, not how I remember it being served in The Irish Centre In Liverpool in the 1980's with a lovely inch of creamy head.

However for a commercial stout the best I have had in recent years was Robinsons Black Beauty, it also had the advantage of being hand pulled from a cask, none of that nitro *****, simply sublime.

:thumb: :thumb:

Any tips on getting a more creamy Guinness like head? My stouts have always been lacking a good creamy head, I know Guinness use some nitrogen injection or something but anyway to replicate that at home?

The stout we drink is a modern invention, with the gas. Oatmeal stouts are good, but you would need to pull through a hand pull with a very tight sparkler to get a really creamy head. unless you used Nitrogen /co2 mixed gas. :thumb:

I think the more traditional Guinness did come from the bottle and didn't have a creamy head. I do believe at one stage most Bars in Ireland had a slightly different variation but all under the Guiness name. I have seen this in some collections were there were Original Bottles with the Giuness name on them but with different Bar names on the label

As Grays said the Modern Day Guinness with the Creamey head is a more modern day invention ( last 30 odd years or more) You probably get a more traditional Guinness served from the Bottle without any widgets etc.

Personally I like both. I find the creamy pint good when in the pub. But the bottle is nice on a cold winters day/night. But the more home brew I have made I have found myself drifting from the commercial stuff and looking for a bar that serves something different.

I worked in a pub 25 yrs ago and the guinness was pumped out of the cask to a measured half pint dispenser ( as was the bitter) no gas if recall and it had the most amazing thick head which I haven't had since not even in Ireland.

Guinness cetainly isn't as strong as it was 20 yrs ago and in my opinion isn't as bitter as it once was either.

You hit the nail on the head Grays. The recipe has changed , had a look and came up with this

"Guinness brewed their last porter in 1973. In the 1970s, following declining sales, the decision was taken to make Guinness Extra Stout more "drinkable". The gravity was subsequently reduced, and the brand was relaunched in 1981 Pale malt was used for the first time, and isomerized hop extract began to be used"

Maybe this changed the taste?

the best beer in the world is the one you have just made
and its ready for drinking :party:
and it tastes like nectar :cheers:

SAM_0932.JPG

One of the recent ebooks listed for free is by a 'senior brewer' who said that the reduction in hoppiness (bitterness) in Guinness is partly due to the nitrogen widget as nitrogen removes a lot of the hop taste of a beer. Apaarently mo one has worked
out why yet.

Latest posts

Back