BBQ cooking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrig

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking for some inspiration on how to make my next BBQ a bit more interesting. i'm camping this weekend and plan to take my big kettle BBQ so i was thinking of trying to cook a slab of beef or pork.

I'm thinking it Should be fairly simple if i just stack up the coals at one side, seal off the meat over the heat and then leave it with the lid on at the other side of the grill..... :wha:

I've started doing baked potato's in foil which are much better than you would expect, but i think i need something else besides the usual burgers and sausages.

I have been known to barbecue stew before :)

You can barbie nearly anything, google beer can chicken if your barbie is big enough that comes out really nice.

Avoid joints that are too variable in thickness, they are too 'crunchy' at the edges before the middle is cooked.

I got a Weber kettle BBQ this year and have been doing some cracking cue's this summer, ribs, shoulder of pork, belly pork all work well if cooked low'n'slow, beer can chicken is a fun piece to do and always a talking point. Like brewing patience is key, and adding a few coals/smoking chips every hour. Experiment with rubs, marinades as well.

Check this guys recipes out, he's changed my BBQ world http://barbecuebible.com/

also just google, Memphis ribs, BBQ pulled pork, BBQ brisket for some ideas. Enjoy!

Don't forget with a ll that meat you'll need some nice sauces, dips, salads to really bring it home....

I really love BBQ'd trout. Season inside with herb butter, wrap well in tin foil and stick on the barbie for about 15 minutes with a further 5 on the other side. :thumb: Goes very nicely with a good pale ale. :cheers:
Graham

I'm liking these ideas, the 11hour cook is perhaps a little ambitious for this weekend, but I can see a nice rack of ribs and or the beer can chicken.

Next stop being a good butchers!

I also have a Weber kettle BBQ :thumb:
Mine came with a small manual/cookbook which shows the indirect method which is great for a couple of chickens although it is easier the spatchcock a couple TBH which is what I tend to do now.
A whole deboned leg of lamb marinaded in whatever you like is amazing on the Weber.
+1 to whole trout too. Another fave here.

Fresh Sardines with a little oregano, olive oil and lemon juice and some homemade crusty bread :thumb:
Think a trip to Doncaster fish market is on the cards this weekend.

Looking at getting a new BBQ - sounding like the Weber Kettle could be the way forward. I am used to standard grilling method but also want to get into indirect cooking, seems the other options for this are not as good unless you spend big £££

Anyone have another BBQ they can recommend for both ? :hmm:

Bananas!

Either in their skin simply cooked until they start to split, then turn them out of their skins and grate dark chocolate over them.

Or

Peel them, put them in foil packets with a spoonful of jam and cook until soft.

Try hot smoking fish with some dampened wood chips (Salmon and Mackerel work really well).

Lemon grass skewers with Cod, Scallops and 'kin' big prawns.

I recently ditched all the 'light a bag' coals, as the shop was out, did it the firelighter and charcoal way, and food tasted better straight away, decided those bag ones just taint everything with petrol :D

Then discovered 'smoking chips' well Marks and Sparks had a bag of 'whisky smoked' chips, my god, like heaven, but did avoid drinking the water I soaked them in, it was whisky coloured with a hint of aroma.

MadrikXIV said:
I recently ditched all the 'light a bag' coals, as the shop was out, did it the firelighter and charcoal way, and food tasted better straight away, decided those bag ones just taint everything with petrol :D

Then discovered 'smoking chips' well Marks and Sparks had a bag of 'whisky smoked' chips, my god, like heaven, but did avoid drinking the water I soaked them in, it was whisky coloured with a hint of aroma.

I use a Weber chimney - lights normal charcoal with a piece of newspaper - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000WEOQV8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 - you can get cheaper with some looking I reckon :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use a weber chimney - it's a revelation, just newspaper and up it goes.
For the full-size weber kettle (57cm) Look on eBay, that's where I got mine for about £60. It's changed my BBQing world!

Instalight is sacrilege, well worth investing in a quality charcoal and some wood chippings. Charcoal chimney as well.
Cherrywood chips soaked in vinegar = winner for smoking

If I do burgers and sausages at all (it's pretty rare) they're top notch or interesting, sausages I buy from award winning sausagemakers.
Burgers I'll make by hand, you can't get good burgers anywhere, and I'd highly recommend the river cottage bunny burgers if you can get the meat, they are to die for.

Or bratwurst, soaked in german beer for 2 days.

Generally I stick to pork chops, lamb, steaks, spatchcock chicken or chicken legs, thighs etc.
Various marinades and stuff, tip for doing steaks, apply salt to the outsides in the morning, this will draw the moisture out but the steak will reabsorb it, it'll make them hella juicy.
Pork chops I brine in a salt water and bourbon solution for a day or so, or in BBQ sauce.

Halloumi is the bomb on the bbq, so good, little garlic, salt and olive oil on there.

Double wrap potatoes in foil with some good olive oil, white wine, oregano, rosemary, plenty of seasoning and a dash of lemon juice. Straight into the coals to steam to perfection - got that from a greek restaurant and it makes an amazing side.
Or just par boil new potatos, drizzle with oil and BBQ on skewers.

Fish is often neglected, BBQed fish is possibly the greatest thing ever, any good fresh fish you can get your hands on, or seafood for that matter. Fresh prawn skewers on the BBQ? Oh good lord.
BBQ Squid? Yes, so hard.
BBQ Sardines? I want them in me.

Titus A Duxass said:
Bananas!

Either in their skin simply cooked until they start to split, then turn them out of their skins and grate dark chocolate over them.

Or

Peel them, put them in foil packets with a spoonful of jam and cook until soft.

Try hot smoking fish with some dampened wood chips (Salmon and Mackerel work really well).

Lemon grass skewers with Cod, Scallops and 'kin' big prawns.

BBQ should have meat only!!!!!!!!!

Lambsie rub:

1 boned leg of lamb, deep slits cut into the thicker areas of the meat
2 lemons - finely grate the rind, juice the rest
a good glug of olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
4 large sprigs rosemary, chopped

Mix all the marinade together, chuck Lambsie into a suitable container and rub the marinade all over. Leave overnight, then either bbq or grill. I usually serve with greek yoghurt with mint & pitta bread.

Piggy rub:

1 good sized pork belly or pork shoulder (if it's rolled, cut and remove the string)
2 bay leaves, broken into small pieces
4 garlic cloves
3 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon rock salt (not flaked sea salt)

Chuck the marinade ingredients into a mortar and bash the hell out of them till the garlic and salt have gone to a paste and the seeds and bay are well broken up.

Give piggy a good rub all over with the marinade and leave overnight (or 24 hours - doesn't come to any harm).

bbq/grill/slow roast - all equally good. Tremendous with garlic and rosemary focaccia bread and chargrilled courgettes (slice small ones lengthwise into 5mm slices, brush with olive oil & sprinkle with salt) and a rocket salad.

Hungry now.

I like this guy, he cooks on all sorts of grills and does all sorts of food.

http://www.bbqu.net/recipes.html

I love sweetcorn on in the coals. soak some corn, in the husks in a sugar, salt brine for 4 to 8 hours ( over night id fine) then just put them in the coals, as the husk dries out and burns turn them until all the husk is cleared and eat. Tastes great!

Here's my efforts :

970444_10151427054851048_1540139479_n.jpg

969277_10151427054771048_1179115202_n.jpg

947255_10151427118911048_16990_n.jpg

379664_10151427445501048_1090447930_n.jpg

575572_10151434758591048_1812873488_n.jpg

946620_10151438858361048_943164925_n.jpg

942704_10151448084486048_924860917_n.jpg

10569_10151448310841048_945648406_n.jpg

993485_10151448683661048_85775297_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back