A liquid diet....with a difference

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbob

Regular.
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this with you. Since I started brewing again and since I finished my dryathalon in January I've really been kicking the back-end out of it. I've got myself a big kettle BBQ and cooked some big joints of VERY tasty meat, I've been necking my brews, and its all coming to a head.

This last weekend I went to a family wedding, and I decided that after I would have a little detox to get myself back in order.

Recently I watched a documentary 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' about a very big American who changed his, and others life by juice fasting. I have fasted before with no ill effects (in fact I credit it with the birth of my daughter, but then the story gets convoluted), but I have never done a juice fast. I looked about and found this guy and his forum, http://www.justonjuice.com/2-week-juice-fast-plan/ so I'm currently on day 2 of a 14 day juice fast. Bearing in mind the build up I had, in the week before I slow-cooked a pork shoulder on the BBQ, had Venison Wellington, fried breakfasts, steak'n'kidney puds, fish'n'chips, full-on curry from a Yorkshire curry house, full-on roast beef dinner with all the trimmings, plus lashings of beer, wine, rum and brandy, it was the worst prep to be had before a fast, I'm not doing too bad. Monday I was poorly/hungover but I made it through, I even went swimming! Today has been better. The best thing about this fast is the variety you can have. I really love my juices and you can put just about anything you wish into them as long as you try to keep to a 80/20 split with veg being the greater.

Hopefully after 2wks I'll have lost a bit of belly, but more so gained a bit of extra energy and cleaned my system out a bit. I do love a good drink, but I also think every now and then it needs to be reigned in a bit, that way I hope to be able to eat and drink and be merry for many years yet.......

I've been on a liquid diet for a couple of years now......

ales,stouts,beer...its not easy

if you want to take it to the next level

the detox miracal sourcebook by Robert Morse ND

I can't diet or cutback, I've tried but I just love eating, if I try and diet I have really full on dreams about food and it's all I can think about through the day, I could do with losing about a stone, I eat till I'm stuffed and that must make my body release endorphins or something cos it's the most satisfying feeling in the world to me.

If you take what ever you normally eat and pop into a blender before eating , you will eat less by the next meal time as your body won't have processed it as quickly . Two teams of squaddies , one with normal breakfast the other with blended breakfast , then a 3 hrs assault course . Both teams had scans to shows how full or empty there stomachs were and the blended team had over 50% more food left in the stomach while the normals showed empty and when asked the norms were very hungry and the blended said they didn't want food . So having food in liquid form will help reduce the amount you consume , however it looks and taste a bit :sick:

s
pittsy said:
If you take what ever you normally eat and pop into a blender before eating , you will eat less by the next meal time as your body won't have processed it as quickly . Two teams of squaddies , one with normal breakfast the other with blended breakfast , then a 3 hrs assault course . Both teams had scans to shows how full or empty there stomachs were and the blended team had over 50% more food left in the stomach while the normals showed empty and when asked the norms were very hungry and the blended said they didn't want food . So having food in liquid form will help reduce the amount you consume , however it looks and taste a bit :sick:

I wonder if we'd get a similar effect by chewing it more :hmm:

I am doing the 5-2 diet and lost 8lb in 3 weeks.

Dead easy - 2 fast days where i only eat / drink 600 cals, the other five i drink, eat and be merry as much as possible.

Feel much better than i did three weeks ago, much more energy :party:

mattrickl06 said:

Dead easy - 2 fast days where i only eat / drink 600 cals, the other five i drink, eat and be merry as much as possible.

A few people are doing this and I'm going to be trying it. I wouldn't mind losing a stone.

Other than the first day you do it, its relatively easy - its mostly in the mind.

First day you will feel dizzy / sick / tired / lethargic etc

I would recommend getting a decent fast diet cook book too so you can still have decent nosh on yer fast days ;)

mattrickl06 said:

ye im on it too.
have being for 6 months or so. it really is working for me. ive lost a considerable amout of weight. almost 4 stone. ive had a weight problem all my adult life and tried loads of differant diets but this really is best ive tried.

I can honestly say I've never felt so good on a fast. I'm getting all my nutrients, so I'm not getting dizzy, headaches, lethargic. I've been swimming, ran about with my daughter, and driven from N. Yorks to Shrewsbury. I do get a bit peckish, but it is a diet after all. I think 2wks fasting and a week getting back to a full diet will give me a good detox, and then if I have a couple of juice only days every fortnight.... Well that's all in the future..

I do the 5-2 diet when i can and it really works.

What i enjoyed was the feeling of calmness that came over me in the evenings on a fast day. it was like my whole body was at rest and the energy the next day is amazing.

If you are going to juice too then my advice is to get a masticating juicer not a high speed spinny thing. Above £150/£200 will buy you a decent model, anything less will be less juice, less goodness.

The Masticating juicer turns slowly and crushes the fruit/veg so the living enzymes in the juice dont get destroyed in the process, they are also very easy to clean after with just a rinse under the tap, the others can be a pain to clean. They can also do wheatgrass which is claimed as a cure for cancer. Its sickeningly sweet but a shot glass of wheatgrass juice is the equivalent of 2.5 pounds of veg goodness.

I grow and juice my own which is the purest way and on it i feel 10 years younger, but its the taste.........

These detox diets and fasting diets are all very well to get you out of a rut when you have been going hard at it for too long, but relying on them is not a good way to live your life. People are still looking for a quick fix which allows them to eat like pigs and not become porkers, but in reality, the only way to stay fit and healthy and not become a lard **** with a dodgy ticker is to eat a balanced diet 95% of the time and raise your heart rate for half an hour at least 3 times a week. By all means keep these quick fix rescues in your back pocket in case of very occasional emergency, but your body is a creature of habit, and constantly going from a period of heavy gluttonous eating and drinking to an overnight change of giving it nothing is stressful, and definitely not healthy.

Just think about it, if detox plans / 5-2 diets etc work for you, the only way you can keep weight off is to carry on doing it for the rest of your life. I'm not sure I could even entertain the idea of having to be so regimented with my diet for the rest of my life. Eating a healthy and balanced diet is not rocket science, and quickly becomes second nature. It's a much easier rest of your life plan.

pittsy said:

I studied nutrition and sports nutrition in my youth and I don't know where you got this from but it goes against any kind of common sense... by blending a food you are increasing it's surface area and hence increasing the area on which stomach acid can act, and thus increasing the rate of digestion. Any nutritionist will confirm that juices and smoothies have a much lower satiety index value (ie will be processed more quickly and satisfy you for less time) than the unprocessed piece of fruit or vegetable. I would suggest that a larger study would iron out any anomalous results in a study which has so many variables including most importantly individual metabolic rates. Two teams of squaddies is nowhere near a large enough test to indicate anything other then indivdual differences and human variation.

Programme on Discovery , as mentioned 2 teams of people and a scan after to show results as well as statements about how hungry they felt .

I think I saw the same as Pittsy. I can't remember the reasoning behind it.

Listened to an interesting program on R4 a while back. The gist of it was the impact that a high sugar diet has on the body. The science suggests that insulin (which is released when you eat sugar), actually suppressed the hormone (?) that would otherwise tell your body that you were full. So the more sugar in your diet the more likely you are to over eat.

I've been meaning to cut down on sweet stuff, but its all so good and I'm not over weight... :whistle:
Also, try buying food which doesn't have added sugar / artificial sweetener in. bloody nightmare.

Christmas 2012 my weight 15 stone 3pounds
today my weight 12 stone 11 pounds

Just by using smaller plates ! ( therefore eating less ) I've not noticed any hunger pangs at all. Being a diabetic its not easy to diet, you have to eat often so starvation rations are a no no.

Obviously I've cut down on the sweeter things, have sweetners instead of sugar etc, bit I still enjoy my pies and puddings....

Latest posts

Back