I think my pinot noir is dead.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chojo

Reaction score
HI guys, a while back i bottled a batch of beaverdale pinot noir which at bottling was probably one of the nicest wines i've ever made. Anyways this weekend i was looking forward to cracking a bottle open but as soon as i stuck the corkscrew in the cork turned to dust (bloody wilkos cheap ****) after ages faffing around trying to get it out then running the wine through a coffee filter to get all the cork out, i finally got round to tasting it...:sick:
My god it's foul i can only assume that the cork drying out has allowed air in knackered the whole batch. I tried a second bottle and that was the same, after a quick tally of my other wines, in total i have around 38 bottles that were done at the same time with the same corks, is my whole summers supply up the creek?
Oh and is there an easier way to remove a dry cork rather than high explosive or a midget ninja?

I always soak my corks in a star san solution before I use them. Then store the bottle horizontal, so far so good.

Maybe don't buy the Wilko corks again.

I was using wineright corks, they changed them and after giving them a dunk in starsan when opening the bottles there is a white residue stuck to the bottle neck some times with bits of cork comming off too.

Hi gaz, I too lost a lot of bottles I presumed cos of wilkies **** corks, I now use favorite corks recommended by this board and have had no bother to date, if I can hijack your thread with a question...the corks I'm using have a "waxy" coating and all my bottles are standing upright, does anyone think I should be lying them down ? even with these type of cork...thanks jim

I had a few go like that. Now I just re-use screw tops or use plastic stoppers. I cant be bothered with cork screws anyway.

Yes they need to be layed down Jim so the cork won't dry out. My lhbs has stopped selling wineright and favorite corks due to the amount of complaints he was getting.

Has anyone ever dipped their bottle tops in wax to seal them? I was thinking of doing that at bottling time and using a little stamp to cute them up a bit :)

Back