Ace electric boilers?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finishing a Speckled Hen clone in mine today. 72% mash efficiency, OG came in spot on at 1050. Smashing piece of kit!

4de7c08923c591a58f1ac0b99b714395.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking at these boilers on eBay and notice that some of them have a 1600w element rather than the 2400w that has been mentioned. Are these new ones less power for a reason? I would of thought the higher power ones would be better and quicker to bring to the boil?

Jas
Reading around the rest of the thread I think there is some preference for the lower power version because the 2.5kw element caused some risk of boiling over. The 1.6kw heater is enough for a nice rolling boil without creating a volcano at the same time.

I remember driving through the Mont Blanc tunnel on my motorbike with my then 10 year old son on the back. Its a while ago - he is thirty-five now... :) We had been in Italy and were on our way back to meet my brother who was in Provence at the time. Happy days. What an adventure that was. The lad still talks about it -especially driving through the night on the way back from Paris with the wind and the roar of the single cylinder engine. It was a bloody 250cc bike as well - unbelieveable. We did 1750 miles with not a splutter. I changed the oil at the roadside though - did it every thousand miles religiously. Put it in a big bottle and dumped it in the trash. The only thing we did was adjust the chain.

5AM on the verge of the Autroute de Solie. We just stopped at night and lay down on the verge until first light.

20160420_115908.jpg

20160420_115918.jpg

Me and the Mrs went through the Mont Blanc tunnel many years ago on my Guzzi - it was blazing hot outside (120F in the shade) so we were just wearing t shirts and shorts and in the tunnel we were absolutely freezing.
Good times.:lol:

Me and the Mrs went through the Mont Blanc tunnel many years ago on my Guzzi - it was blazing hot outside (120F in the shade) so we were just wearing t shirts and shorts and in the tunnel we were absolutely freezing.
Good times.:lol:

It would have been nicer to have done the trip on a Moto Guzzi and so much more appropriate cruising about Northern Italy on one of those rather than an old half worn Honda commuter. :) However, that little motor just sat there hour after hour at 7000 revs and dragged us down to Turin and back via back roads, autoroutes and tunnels.

I sold it for £400 when I got back. I should have kept it as a museum piece and retired it except for sunny days. I wish I had. I did keep the spark plug we used for the trip though.

One the ACE - Nigel used to word 'Volcano' for the 2500 watt version. That's not a bad epithet.

I have been looking at these boilers on eBay and notice that some of them have a 1600w element rather than the 2400w that has been mentioned. Are these new ones less power for a reason? I would of thought the higher power ones would be better and quicker to bring to the boil?

Jas

Jas I've got the 1600w, it seems perfectly fine. Produces a decent rolling boil and heats up pretty quickly (can't remember the time off the top of my head).

Jas I've got the 1600w, it seems perfectly fine. Produces a decent rolling boil and heats up pretty quickly (can't remember the time off the top of my head).

+1 a very well behaved boil. I find mine takes about 45 minutes to get there.

I'm hoping I can reconnect the spare internal 900w element to reduce the time to boil, but think they might have clipped the connectors too short. I'll keep you posted!

I'm finding it VERY hard to get anything out of the dialogue. The audio quality is a problem. Maybe it is my machine or something.

The idea looks great. Where does that recirculating pump come from? I got the bit about the Wickes fittings.

They look like nice mods.

I'm finding it VERY hard to get anything out of the dialogue. The audio quality is a problem. Maybe it is my machine or something.

The idea looks great. Where does that recirculating pump come from? I got the bit about the Wickes fittings.

They look like nice mods.

Hi Tony

Plenty of options on eBay under "12v solar pump". The brown ones seem to be v popular on the forums.

Audio is very flakey...I had to turn my volume right up to hear anything and even then it's muffled.

I can feel a "pimp my ACE" thread coming on....

Cheers
Ian

you can ebay a bargain basement lil brown solar pump and get exactly what you pay for or you may get lucky,
these folk http://www.solarproject.co.uk/ sell them and stand by the warranty even for us brewers.. though if you do have problems they will expect you to give it a headless clean first....

Latest posts

Back