Corny keg carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRtHonorable

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I used my corny kegs for the first time on my last brew, with mixed results. They are 9L kegs, pin lock, and I'm using a tap attached directly to the disconnect, with the idea of it being fairly portable.

I filled them and hooked up the CO2, and set the regulator to about 30PSI. I left each keg like this for a few days, then disconnected the CO2. This was done at room temperature.

On serving, I vented the kegs and used minimal CO2 to dispense the beer... And it was ridiculously foamy. The first keg was used at a party and was basically useless! I vented the second off a lot and took it on holiday, with more success.

Basically, how am I best to carbonate without excessive foam? My next brew will be kegged this week to take to a stag do so I need to sort it out!

Ta!

Chris

Most of the CO2 should be in solution. When I get an overcarbed/foamy beer in a keg, I'll vent off most if the pressure and leave it for a day or two. Temperature plays a big role. It's better to chill the beer before racking into the keg and carbing. This is one of the reasons I now prefer to prime my kegs.

Edit after rereading your post: force carbing takes more than a few days. A constant psi of 30, even at room temp, is quite high.

I use 30psi for 24-36 hours, then drop to 13-15psi from then on.

I can normally get a foam free(ish) pint after two days at 15psi but it gets better and better the longer I leave it. Normally week is pretty good, seems perfect after about 10 days.

If your using the lever tap you attach directly to the keg, you need to drop serving pressure to about 2-3psi - or at least I did.

I found this too much faffing about dropping my psi to serve then ramping it back up at the end of the evening. Plus a waste of gas...

I now use a 'party' tap with about 6 feet of 3/16 hose and it works great just leaving the keg at ~15psi (after a few days of course!).

Hope that helps :cheers:

Guys, thanks for your answers and apologies for the late reply!

I think I've cracked it now. I pressurised the kegs to 30psi, shook them about, and left them overnight. I then did the same thing the next day, then left them a week until the stag do. Once there, I vented off the excess pressure and let them stand overnight as we were in a pub the first night anyway, and then hooked up the CO2. I set the reg at just slightly more pressure than it took to push the beer out, and that seemed about right.

No more embarrasing pints of foam!

Latest posts

Back