Pump questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrBrews

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a pump to use at home with my little brew setup and I have a few questions I was hoping you all might be able to help with. My main question is if it matters at all that the inlet and outlets on the March May (809 PL-HS and SS-4R) brew pumps are not stainless steel as I plan to hook up stainless steel quick disconnects and a ball valve to it? If so is it a better option to go with one of the Chugger pumps off of brewbuilder that have stainless inlets and outlets? And finally, if I chose to go with the center inlet varieties, does anyone have up to date links to where i can buy a 1/2 to 1" adapter for the inlet and do you think the (preferably SS-4R) inlet models are worth it?

Thanks for the help.

Standard March-May 809s will no doubt be made of PPS plastics on the inlets/outlets (I use one! But not a centre inlet type). No problem connecting to SS bits and bobs (ptfe tape recommended), but be aware that although the plastic is great stuff (withstands 100C no bother, doesn't muck up your beer with unmentionable chemicals, ...) it is quite brittle, so don't over-tighten the fittings!

A lot of my SS fittings came from bes.co.uk; not a recommendation, but they are pretty cheap.

And as someone from March-May told me: the 809s are pretty old (1960s). But do the job... at a price. Little 12V pumps are just as good, but will they handle the debris?

Latest posts

Back