Need mash tun advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enrow

Reaction score
This is my first post on the forum. I haven't brewed for a few years and even then it was only kits. I'm in the process of buying the necessary equipment to start brewing again and I'm planning on doing all grain. I have a 30 litre brew kettle and was planning on doing boil in the bag but after looking into efficiency, this doesn't seem to be the best option. If I'm wanting to get about 30 litres from the mash then I'm guessing I'll need a much bigger mash tun as all the grains will displace the liquid, what size would I need? And can anybody recommend a good place to get it from reasonably priced? My closest homebrew shops are in Stockport and chesterfield and I am willing to order online but imagine the postage cost would bump the price up a lot. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance to anybody who responds.

I can get 5.5kg in my 19 litre mash tun. Which is a cooler that cost about 25 quid with the tap replaced and a mesh filter.

I mash with about 2.75 litres per kg of grain, then sparge with the rest of the water.

I use a 24L coolbox for a mash tun, I brew 22L max batches which requires around 27L of water. I set about 18L into the box with the grains, I then lift out the bag, squeeze and then pour into my boiler and set it off. While it's getting to temperature I do another mash of 9L with the same grains until the wort in my boiler gets close to boil (20 minutes or so), I then squeeze the bag to death and pour it into the boil.

On my 2nd AG I used the secondary wort to make 8 pints of weaker beer. It still ended up at 3.5% and was quite delicious (probably my best beer to date)

Seems like a 25L coolbox would do the job then. Did you buy a conversion kit or just source the individual pieces and make one from scratch? How many litres do you get out of it before you have to sparge? And does sparring effect the efficiency? Thanks to you and everybody else who responded.

Sparging increases efficiency. You mash with 2.5 to 3 litres, to convert the starches, drain the mash, then sparge to wash as much sugar out as possible.

I use a 24L coolbox for a mash tun, I brew 22L max batches which requires around 27L of water. I set about 18L into the box with the grains, I then lift out the bag, squeeze and then pour into my boiler and set it off. While it's getting to temperature I do another mash of 9L with the same grains until the wort in my boiler gets close to boil (20 minutes or so), I then squeeze the bag to death and pour it into the boil.

On my 2nd AG I used the secondary wort to make 8 pints of weaker beer. It still ended up at 3.5% and was quite delicious (probably my best beer to date)

Some good info/numbers there for me - I have a 24L cool box (Asda £10 quid) and my boilers max fill line is at 27L. Looks like I'm all set for 22L brews :smile:

Some good info/numbers there for me - I have a 24L cool box (Asda £10 quid) and my boilers max fill line is at 27L. Looks like I'm all set for 22L brews :smile:

Does it retain it's heat okay? Just seen a 24L coolbox from argos for £13. I have 2 15L cool boxes but I imagine it would be too much hassle converting them both.
I think I'll try the 24L, I can always upgrade in the future if it doesnt work out.

Latest posts

Back