Kenridge Classic Trilogy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bought this for a change (usually make WOW's), for £50 recently

I'd made one of the kenridge kits before and it was pretty good.

You get a load of grape juice in the kit, can't quite remember how much (it's a heavy box though)

The kit comes with fried elderberries and oak chips and all the rest of the usual requirements (stabiliser/finings etc), as you would expect.

The one thing that I didn't do (deliberately), was follow the instructions, after starting it off.

The instructions call for the wine to be racked at least twice (maybe three) times, which I couldn't be bothered doing. So I just left it in the primary until it had gone down to 0.990, left it another week, then racked/stabilised/degassed/added finings after that (in accordance with the instructions on those bits)

It was about 23 days from start to bottle, which I did last night and had a few glasses to sample.

Very nice result, much more body than a 25 quid kit (eg cellar 7), so pretty happy with it.

If I thought I had to follow the instructions to the letter I probably wouldn't have bothered making it, but I asked the chap in my local hb shop his opinion and he said he had made it too, and didn't feel the need for all the racking.... I suppose it must make some difference if the makers specify it, but I'd rather short cut the method even at the cost of a minor impact on taste 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bought this for a change (usually make WOW's), for �£50 recently

I'd made one of the kenridge kits before and it was pretty good.

You get a load of grape juice in the kit, can't quite remember how much (it's a heavy box though)

The kit comes with fried elderberries and oak chips and all the rest of the usual requirements (stabiliser/finings etc), as you would expect.

The one thing that I didn't do (deliberately), was follow the instructions, after starting it off.

The instructions call for the wine to be racked at least twice (maybe three) times, which I couldn't be bothered doing. So I just left it in the primary until it had gone down to 0.990, left it another week, then racked/stabilised/degassed/added finings after that (in accordance with the instructions on those bits)

It was about 23 days from start to bottle, which I did last night and had a few glasses to sample.

Very nice result, much more body than a 25 quid kit (eg cellar 7), so pretty happy with it.

If I thought I had to follow the instructions to the letter I probably wouldn't have bothered making it, but I asked the chap in my local hb shop his opinion and he said he had made it too, and didn't feel the need for all the racking.... I suppose it must make some difference if the makers specify it, but I'd rather short cut the method even at the cost of a minor impact on taste 😀

Interesting, was the wine cloudy in any way as you didn't rack it?

I did rack it once, to degas and stabilise but the instructions were to do it another twice on top of that 😀

Was nice and clear in the siphon tube when I bottled it

I did rack it once, to degas and stabilise but the instructions were to do it another twice on top of that 😀

Was nice and clear in the siphon tube when I bottled it

Interesting! Seems a bit excessive twice more, and if like you said it had very minimal effect a bit useless too.

Latest posts

Back