30 bottle wine kits ( soloman Grundy sav blanc )

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornwallnewbie

Reaction score
Hi everyone just wandering if someone could give me advise I'm making a Solomon Grundy sav blanc 30 bottle wine kit when it has formented can I rack it into another 5 gallon container and then add stabiliser or should I just do it all in the primary container or should I use demijohns the reason I ask this is I made a wine buddy 30 bottle but it has a very distinctive smell like a yeast smell anyway any ideas would be very grateful.

Cornwall newbie

The yeasty flavours could be because you didnt let it ferment completely. I have made these kits and it is vital to maintain a constant temperature and allow at least 2 weeks or more undisturbed.

Always wait until the water in the air-lock becomes level on both sides and there is no froth or bubbles on the surface if you can see the surface without allowing air into the fermenter (i use glass carboys)

At this stage rack off into another fermenter without disturbing the sediment.

Then proceed with degassing, stabalising and fining as instructed.

Once finished and clear syphon off into bottles or 5 demijohns then bottle 6 bottles when you need them. This will keep air out of the wine as much as possible. Wine in a half full demijohn or bottle will go off very quickly hence wine bottles have narrow necks.

Hope this helps

Hi russ146 the wine buddy stated 0.996 mine went down to 0.992 anyway when I degassed it then added stabiliser and the other flavourings I left it for about 72 hours and it was clear it's still clear now but it has that taste which is ok for me but not the wife lol.
Anyway like you stated I can rack off to another 23 ltr fermenting bin then like you said degass then add stabiliser and the rest of the ingredients and then leave it when clear you suggest racking it into demijohns then bottle when needed is this correct russ146 how long can I leave it in the demijohns.
Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to loose this one as it's costing me loads in buying wine for the wife lol.

Cornwall newbie

The yeasty smell can diminish significantly when the wine is chilled but will return as it warms up so keep it in the fridge as much as possible, i had this problem when i mistakingly added about triple the amount of yeast into a 2 gallon batch. Once you have added your stabiliser/preservative its best to do as little racking as possible as you are exposing the wine to oxygen. If you have stabilised it and fined it then rack it once more to the container you are going to bottle it from and then either bottle it right away or leave it untouched/unopened until such times as you are ready to bottle it, racking it into demi johns (without bottling) is not a good idea unless you plan on drinking it quite quickly once you pop the bung as you are letting a lot of oxygen into the wine.

Hi chewiness thank you for your reply so as I take it when my soloman Grundy sav blanc has finished fermenting rack it to another 23 ltr container add stabiliser and preserve, then leave it for a couple of weeks until clear, then bottle is this correct chewie sorry for asking but I'm all new to this.
Anyway cheers again

Cornwallnewbie

There should be 2 or 3 packets of finings in the kit, these will clear the wine in a few days once added, these force any sediment/cloudiness in the wine to drop out quickly, once its clear then rack into a clean/sterile container and proceed to bottle. If the instructions say rack after fermentation, then degas stabilise/preserve/add finings and allow to clear, rack again and bottle then follow that. It's always best to rack the wine after it has been fined/cleared to limit as much as possible the sediment that can end up in bottles.

My earlier answer was very short so i will explain, i used to make SG wines when i first started and enquired in the forum if i should rack as i had read others did (other kits not SG ones) and i was told no by more than one member, basically i was told to follow the instructions as not doing so could end in a wine that is not as good as it can be.

SG.JPG

Cheers chippy_tea for your response I will ferment then add stabiliser and pressures what till cleared then rack and then bottle.
You answered one of my questions ages ago with regards to wine buddy sav blanc and your turned out in a white colour as mine did last time but the last one I did turned out a yellow colour with a very strong taste wife didn't like it, anyway the one I'm doing now is a Solomon Grundy sav blanc an I don't won't the same thing to happen so hike you chippy_tea for you expert comment .

Cornwallnewbie

Back