Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Third time out for this bad boy... a winning recipe (in my book anyway)

Stuff
16L tesco cheapo AJ (65p per litre)
3 x Lowicz Strawberry (1 for priming)
Juice of 5 fresh limes
1L strong tea (5bag) stewed for 15mins
5tsp pectolase dissolved in a cup of warm water
Sachet of cider yeast with sweetener (E950) from eBay

How
Bung AJ into clean, sanitised FV
Bung in Lowicz (x2)
Tea goes in
Pectolase in
Give it a good stir
Take hydrometer reading (1.040)
Sprinkle yeast on top
Put in cupboard
Temp approx 22deg

So, reckon about 5.97% abv (including priming syrup)

Sorted 😃

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Great recipe, thanks for sharing. You are using lowicz strawberry siroup right?

That's right doomy

Took a quick sg reading 6 days in, and down to 1.005, so just about done in primary, will give it another week probably then batch prime and bottle 😀

Third time out for this bad boy... a winning recipe (in my book anyway)

Stuff
16L tesco cheapo AJ (65p per litre)
3 x Lowicz Strawberry (1 for priming)
Juice of 5 fresh limes
1L strong tea (5bag) stewed for 15mins
5tsp pectolase dissolved in a cup of warm water
Sachet of cider yeast with sweetener (E950) from eBay

How
Bung AJ into clean, sanitised FV
Bung in Lowicz (x2)
Tea goes in
Pectolase in
Give it a good stir
Take hydrometer reading (1.040)
Sprinkle yeast on top
Put in cupboard
Temp approx 22deg

So, reckon about 5.97% abv (including priming syrup)

Sorted 😃

Hi

Where can we buy lowics strawberry syrup,

Thanks

Yip made with rasp too, good as well 😀

Just tried my first bottle of this actually two and was divine. my only fault with it was that it didn't seem too fizzy. Maybe as i tried it direct from fridge, would it have fizzed more if i had left it outside to warm slightly and drank it over ice? Also tried the straight apple tc and also divine.

Just tried my first bottle of this actually two and was divine. my only fault with it was that it didn't seem too fizzy. Maybe as i tried it direct from fridge, would it have fizzed more if i had left it outside to warm slightly and drank it over ice? Also tried the straight apple tc and also divine.

How did you prime and how long since priming ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I primed as per Roddy's calculator for both TC's in the brew fridge for 2weeks @ 21℃ and then chilled in fridge for a week. 80ml of syrup in Stawberry and 60g/lt of sugar in apple

That's a bit disappointing with the fizz matey, I'll see how mine turns out, bottled it on Tues.

Might need to up the ante on the primer if I get the same thing

I was thinking maybe it was because taken straight from fridge. was thinking next time take them out earlier and let them warm up and then pour over ice. There was bubbles rising all the time whilst in the glass (didn't last too long though as was very warm out and they went down a treat) Maybe i was expecting a sort of head like beer.

I was thinking maybe it was because taken straight from fridge. was thinking next time take them out earlier and let them warm up and then pour over ice. There was bubbles rising all the time whilst in the glass (didn't last too long though as was very warm out and they went down a treat) Maybe i was expecting a sort of head like beer.

Why put them in the fridge if you're going to do that.
The priming following Roddy's recipes is normally bang on. Maybe that you didn't let it sit long enough after priming before putting in fridge.

Mine have taken anywhere from 1-4 weeks to get to my desired fizz levels. How do you store your cider during secondary fermentation ? I got myself a brewfridge set up a few months back and I prime for at least a week at ~22c.

I've normally got firm pet bottles by then which always acts as a good guide. If still not firm by then I take out and store until they are [emoji106]

Ps - you won't get the same head as you do on a beer or Ale , but you should see lots of bubbles and have the fizz dance on your tongue lol [emoji23]

Why put them in the fridge if you're going to do that.
The priming following Roddy's recipes is normally bang on. Maybe that you didn't let it sit long enough after priming before putting in fridge.

Mine have taken anywhere from 1-4 weeks to get to my desired fizz levels. How do you store your cider during secondary fermentation ? I got myself a brewfridge set up a few months back and I prime for at least a week at ~22c.

I've normally got firm pet bottles by then which always acts as a good guide. If still not firm by then I take out and store until they are [emoji106]

Ps - you won't get the same head as you do on a beer or Ale , but you should see lots of bubbles and have the fizz dance on your tongue lol [emoji23]

Yes i have also brew fridge and they were in there @ 21℃ for two weeks. yes they were bubbles lasting as long as it took to drink it mmmmm. I think I am expecting too much in terms of head. Bt what the heck they tasted great, deffo make again especially with this weather, great drink

Oh yeh, there'll never be a head with any cider, so long as it's fizzy then you're spot on 😃

Hmm, I've had this in the FV for 10 days and it's only got down to 1.020 (started at 1.040) and no activity in the air lock. Any ideas on how to get it going again?

I would check that it's not too cool, and then give it a stir up with a sterlised stirrer, and pop the lid/airlock back on again

It's been in a waterbath at a steady 22 degrees, I'll give it a stir and see how it goes, cheers

Tried one of mine tonight and damn... it's flat as a witches tit as well.

I have a theory though.. this had happened a couple of times lately where I have left the brew in the primary after it's finished fermenting for longer than I usually do.

I'm only talking about an extra 10 days or so, but it's the difference between it being cloudy, and clear, when bottling.

My theory is that it's yeasties trapped in the cloudy one that kick off a nice 2nd ferment to make a fizzy brew.

Looking back at my previous attempts, this stacks up.

Just to prove it I'm gonna stick on exactly the same recipe but bottle as soon as it hits SG 1.000

Latest posts

Back