Summer Holidays!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also retired, this year we treated 5 years old great-granddaughter and her Mum to a fortnight in the south of France on the Mediterranean at the end of May.

Fantastic weather, great rented house and GGD was in the Med within an hour of arrival; without bothering to get changed out of the clothes she wore on the plane! :doh:

The most amazing thing about the whole experience was the energy of a five-year old girl. How I ever coped with my own kids I just can't imagine.

The photograph is when she got home, safe and sound on a climbing frame. :whistle:

God help us, but the next holiday SWMBO has planned is to take GGD to Disneyland in Paris next year.

"Hot Toddy Time" methinks! :thumb:

Harley Climbing.jpg

Off to Olüdeniz (Turkey) for a fortnight from the 21st. We absolutely love it there and it'll be the 4th time that we've been in the last 5 years.
A fortnight of Kindle reading by the pool whilst quaffing Efes = heaven

I don't need a holiday now that FC Se, eh,Rangers have been beaten by the 4th best team ln Luxembourg 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Turkey again in a few weeks

went there last year and despite the heat the kids loved it, plus it is realtively cheap given we parents get abused on prices to take our kids away (incoming comments tough luck you chose to have kids ect ect).

Turkey again in a few weeks

went there last year and despite the heat the kids loved it, plus it is realtively cheap given we parents get abused on prices to take our kids away (incoming comments tough luck you chose to have kids ect ect).
My heart bleeds:cry::cry::cry:

Na joking

we were lucky really, we used to take our kids out of school for two weeks,generally at start of January and b####r off to the Canaries.They didn't miss anything really as far as schooling goes and it was always cheaper and nothing was said about it.I am going back to the 80's and early 90's.
The joke is that when we ask our grandchildren what they do/did when returning to school from breaks the answer is always,well for the first week,not a lot!!!!!:twisted:

Off to St.Ives for a week in August. Lovely place, but not looking forward to the 5 and a half hour drive.

Unless they move St Ives to somewhere near Wolverhampton before August, I think you should add a couple of hours at least ... :whistle:

... and I sincerely hope that you aren't transporting any of the "Are we there yet?" brigade in the back! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless they move St Ives to somewhere near Wolverhampton before August, I think you should add a couple of hours at least ... :whistle:

... and I sincerely hope that you aren't transporting any of the "Are we there yet?" brigade in the back! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why we've decided on the Welsh coast this year rather than Devon or Cornwall. Only way to beat the traffic going down there is to go during the night. Hopefully quite a nice drive Worcester to St. Davids as it's all A roads so easy to stop for food / stretch legs and take alternate routes if there are any holdups.

........ Only way to beat the traffic going down there is to go during the night. .........

That's why I came back from France to land at Portsmouth in the evening and come home via the A34 and the A43.

Plan "A" was to arrive home at about 1.30am, but that was before we discovered that the A34 was closed and we were detoured along miles of country roads to fight it out with a load of HGV's.

We eventually made it past the A34 closure, only to then discover that the A43 was also closed and yet again we were detoured on to back country roads along with a million tons of freight.

We eventually arrived in Skegness at about 5am! :doh:

I now use this site before I decide to go any distance in the UK ...

http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic-information/

... especially if I have a ferry to catch! :doh:

Where are you going / what are you doing?

I've got the first two weeks of August off. Possibly against my better judgement I've just booked us in for camping in Pembrokeshire during the first week. First time doing a whole week away with the kids (4 & 6), have kept it to 2 - 3 nights up until now. Hoping the weather is conducive, I'll be happy if I've got a lukewarm beer in my hand and some meat sizzling on the BBQ at the end of the day. Hope to get some body boarding in too.

Second week we'll have a few day trips and spend some time at home, got a 10ft pool for the kids this year so they'd better get some use out of it!

Lovely part of Wales that Graz, been many of time in Pembroke, you will love it if you haven't been there before, you should pay a visit along the Gower coast line, my old stomping ground :thumb:

Lovely part of Wales that Graz, been many of time in Pembroke, you will love it if you haven't been there before, you should pay a visit along the Gower coast line, my old stomping ground :thumb:

Agreed, we stayed at Freshwater East last year. Beautiful area, beautiful beaches and loads to do.

Last time I was in Wales I ended up in Fishguard, grappling to put a tent up in a huricane about 30 yards away from the cliff edge as darkness was rapidly descending. I was on the mobike so couldn't abandon proceedings for a while. Great fun actually, even if the rest of the night was spent trying to stop the tent from blowing away.

Thanks, have been to Pembrokeshire a couple of times, once when I was a kid which I have vague memories of and more recently for our honeymoon when we hired a rather nice holiday cottage with a hot tub and woodburner (it was the first week of December!). The cottage we had was near Amroth so this time we're staying up the north end near St. David's so we can see a bit more of that area.

Stayed on the Gower last year at Three Cliffs Bay, have been quite a few times and yes it is stunning. Possibly one of my favourite places in the world.

Hoping to be able to do a few weekends away if we can find somewhere nice,and get a routine sorted,

Had a week in centre parcs Suffolk, a week in Devon and got a week in Cornwall coming up soon...Praa sands. Hopefully we'll get some weather and be able to spend some time on the beach...fishing and metal detecting probably. I may even take a box of hb wheat beers because they don't mind being stirred up a bit!

After our second child arrived in May we can't face an overseas trip this year, we'll do a week in each of Somerset and North Wales with family in August/September.

Where are you going / what are you doing?

I've got the first two weeks of August off. Possibly against my better judgement I've just booked us in for camping in Pembrokeshire during the first week. First time doing a whole week away with the kids (4 & 6), have kept it to 2 - 3 nights up until now. Hoping the weather is conducive, I'll be happy if I've got a lukewarm beer in my hand and some meat sizzling on the BBQ at the end of the day. Hope to get some body boarding in too.

Second week we'll have a few day trips and spend some time at home, got a 10ft pool for the kids this year so they'd better get some use out of it!

Thought I'd update (and maybe others will too ;))...

Our break went well, this was despite getting home from work on the Friday, totally losing it with my eldest at bedtime (he was really pushing the limits) and threatening to call the whole thing off :-( The missus talked me round.

Really nice campsite, only 20 pitches for tents/camper/caravans attached to a very quiet static site. The owners had left the centre of the field open with a couple of football goals, my two soon made friends and were off playing most evenings :thumb:

Lovely bit of the world, we had a few beach days at Broadhaven, Whitesands and Newgale, managed to get some body boarding in each time which was great fun. Particularly big surf on the last day. Also had the eldest riding a few small waves into the shore on my board which he loved.

Explored along the coast and did a trip down to Manorbier, Saundersfoot and Tenby. Spent a day at Oakwood theme park too courtesy of Tesco clubcard vouchers, wouldn't have been happy to have paid to go in there as it was unfortunately very run down but the kids liked it.

Only one particularly wet day where we sort refuge at the local leisure centre for a swim, by the time we'd done that it had brightened up. Tent survived some pretty windy and rainy nights. Local supermarket had a good selection of local beer and cider so had to sample a fair few of those :D

Week two was nice being at home, went ten pin bowling with our two which we'd not done before, they loved it. Had a day at Warwick Castle (Tesco again!), this was great, the falconry displays and jousting really made it. Another wet day spent at the local leisure pool (flume+wave machine). Finished the week off with the Worcester show though unfortunately the wife brought the in-laws along so I ended up driving them, no cider/perry bar for me :evil:

Good couple of weeks, just a shame to be back at work, at least there's a bank holiday next weekend. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back