Brewdog punk'ed by Burning sky

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what is everyone's views on the MD from Burning sky pulling all of their beers from Brewdog bars because of BD's attitudes and it becoming everything it actually set out against.

If you didn't know, google Brewdog Law suit lone wolf pub, and Brew Dog patents the word "punk" in relation to all beer.

It's only started to confirm to me what I have suspected about those two blokes at BD. I'm with Burning sky on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seeking corporate legal protection over the word "punk" is a level of irony that beggars belief. Their subversive publicity stunts ****** off a lot of people, but it was in keeping with their brand at least the beer was good. This on the other hand is hypocrisy. This shows that they have abandoned their principles for the sake of their profit margin. The next natural step if for them to abandon good beer for the sake of good beer, the very thing that made them, to whatever beer for whatever maximises profit. Equity for punks was suppose to allow them to grow without them having to compromise to keep the shareholders happy, but this shows that money corrupts regardless of where it comes from.

Seeking corporate legal protection over the word "punk" is a level of irony that beggars belief. Their subversive publicity stunts ****** off a lot of people, but it was in keeping with their brand at least the beer was good. This on the other hand is hypocrisy. This shows that they have abandoned their principles for the sake of their profit margin. The next natural step if for them to abandon good beer for the sake of good beer, the very thing that made them, to whatever beer for whatever maximises profit. Equity for punks was suppose to allow them to grow without them having to compromise to keep the shareholders happy, but this shows that money corrupts regardless of where it comes from.

I'm sure your aware of the threads on the forum discussing beers of yesteryear which are now a pale shadow of themselves (possibly through chasing the profit margin). I suspect that in years to come we will probably be discussing Brewdog beers in a similar manner

I'm sure your aware of the threads on the forum discussing beers of yesteryear which are now a pale shadow of themselves (possibly through chasing the profit margin). I suspect that in years to come we will probably be discussing Brewdog beers in a similar manner

Hasn't this already happened as we are onto the second version of punk ipa already?

If you ever get the chance to go to a meet the brewer with Mark Tranter, do it. One of my favourite brewers, brews excellent beers and a has refreshing view on brewery scale and ambition. Really not surprised by this given his love of Punk and business philosophy.

Whilst ambitious, we do not wish to grow out of, or beyond the buildings we occupy. Instead we are investing heavily in the areas that we wish to grow in.
- from the Burning Sky website.

I'm aware theres a second version of punk but dont know the differences between the two. Less hops used?
When they first started up they didn't have the facility to dry hop so Punk IPA was all in the kettle. When they got some new equipment they changed Punk IPA altogether, different grain and different hops, presumably because the new hop styles used are better for dry hopping.

When they first started up they didn't have the facility to dry hop so Punk IPA was all in the kettle. When they got some new equipment they changed Punk IPA altogether, different grain and different hops, presumably because the new hop styles used are better for dry hopping.

Thanks for the heads up :thumb:

They also dropped the abv on punk at some point, the brewery tour lass said it was because the high abv put it in a tax bracket that meant their flagship beer was over £5 a pint.

This is my gripe with BrewDog.
First of all I think Punk IPA and Jackhammer are excellent top-notch beers.
It all goes downhill from here. They have sold their sold for money, something that they originally said that they would never do. They are now part of the mass produced beer market, something that they said they would never be.
The number of different beers that they produce...I think its over 250, this is just stupid.
Their marketing (only stupid people will buy into this)..Ive only been to a BrewDog pub once and the conversation with the bartender went like this:-
" Ill have a bottle of Jackhammer and a pint of Punk please"
" Certainly, and would you like to be able to buy one of our tee-shirts?"
I had to check with the barperson that he actually said "would I like to be "ABLE" to buy a tee shirt. As though they are doing me a favour.

Summary......they have just sold out on everything that they said they were against..."Craft Beer For The People"........My ****.

They don't produce over 250 beers. In their entire history it's just above that amount. Their core range is no bigger than most breweries.

to be fair to Brew Dog, that whole Lone Wolf fiasco was an error on behalf of their solicitors, the type of people who fire from the hip when it comes to protecting branding and copyrights etc. They did apologise (although they didn't reimburse AFAIK) but that received a lot less press. Brew Dog is a business and they are running like an international big business with their fair share of issues and controversies which not everyone is gonna agree with, myself included. I feel Burning Sky is using this as a PR stunt more than anything.

The real "baddies" are still companies like Ab-Inbev, despite owning some awesome Belgian breweries. And those b*stards Sab Miller.

Latest posts

Back