rye types. .

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
Due to the most rubbish weather I've spent this afternoon sorting through my supplies and putting together an order for my next few brews...
With reference to the gh book I've decided a rye beer should be included however I've read about rye problems including the sparge issues and note the gh recipe is around 50%.
Ingredient shopping on Web the homebrew shop have 2 types of malted rye on offer. One is labelled as a roasted rye for use up to 50% in the grist and the other is listed as pale rye malt for use up to 20%...

Hello all
Due to the most rubbish weather I've spent this afternoon sorting through my supplies and putting together an order for my next few brews...
With reference to the gh book I've decided a rye beer should be included however I've read about rye problems including the sparge issues and note the gh recipe is around 50%.
Ingredient shopping on Web the homebrew shop have 2 types of malted rye on offer. One is labelled as a roasted rye for use up to 50% in the grist and the other is listed as pale rye malt for use up to 20%...
I have done a couple of brews with malted rye. Quite hard and i put it through the mill twice. have eered on the lighter side in my two brews,one at only 5% and one at 17% .Intend to up it again to around 20% max in another brew.
Think you can add more of the other rye,think it's more of a crystal rye .
I understand the malted rye can cause problems in the mash in large amounts..I do biab and had no problems with my small amounts:thumb:

Interesting. ..malt miller info is different...roast rye up to 5%,pale rye 5-20%....
You are correct.Up to 50% of the malted rye,but as i said i think it can cause problems in the mash at those levels and the crystal rye at 10/15%:thumb:

Latest posts

Back