Rotating sparge build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.
Reaction score
Made 2 rotating sparge arms today one from stainless and one from plastic.

image.jpg

would like to hear who uses this method instead of batch sparge,as I did various hole sizes in the arms to prolong the sparge time,with vast differences.What are your sparge lengths?

would like to hear who uses this method instead of batch sparge,as I did various hole sizes in the arms to prolong the sparge time,with vast differences.What are your sparge lengths?

I have always used a rotating sparge arm I bought in the early 90s.

The holes are very fine in a slight spiral configuration and more at the end. This does not need much water pressure to rotate and I use is by gravity feed from my HLT.

I find that I can leave this running during the run off. I did time my run off yesterday and 55 litres in Boiler took 60mins.

I do have a couple of other newer sparge arms but have found that the hole sizes are too big and badly positioned meaning I have to dump more water than is required just to keep them spinning. These don't work well with gravity feed and I found I had to keep turning the water on and off to avoid over filling the mash tun.

The original is definitely the best :)

Yes i find the first one in stainless the holes i drilled are too big.

the plastic one i drilled 0.8mm holes but the sparge is around 20 mins which is not long enough,so i think i will ditch the project for now.

I have a new IDEA:lol::lol:

Neat system but not one I can use because I have a converted rectangular Cool Box as a Mash Tun.

To distribute the Sparge Water I use a couple of sheets of aluminium foil resting on the top of the grain and punctured at regular intervals with a Philips screwdriver.

I try (and mainly succeed) in keeping the sparge rate to one litre per minute. I have taken to stirring up the grains at about one third and two thirds of the required volume; which is normally 27 litres.

I think "crude but effective" about describes my method! :lol:

Hello! I am from Brazil and i am looking to build something like what you did.
Can you please help me? What is that rotating tee that you have? Plus that blue thinghy?

The blue pipe is flexible water and oil fluid pipe. Remove the rubber washer from the john guest fitting on the inlet only, the arms require the washers to remain, just push fit your pipe inside, you can use copper, i just had stainless in my workshop.

JG equal tee with a rubber washer removed. Genius, i have a bagful of those. That’s this weekend’s project. Just need to find a tiny drill bit and not break it!

Back