Uso4

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kman

Regular.
Reaction score
Last Saturday I did my second biab, a hobgoblin clone from Worcester hop shop. Everything seemed to go great on brew day bar my 3 year old thinking my hydrometer was made of stone and smashed it before I could use it so no sg. I pitched the yeast and and thought no more about it, left in brew fridge at 20 degrees which has been fine for every brew I've done but I've just checked the gravity with my new hydrometer and it seems to have finished at 1.020. Is this yeast known for this or am I just unlucky and need to pitch some more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long has it been fermenting for?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It may well have stuck rather than finished.

There are a lot of threads on here about stuck Woodfordes kits on here which stick at 1.020. I know yours is not a kit, but I would follow some of the advice on those threads before repitching. Try stirring the yeast cake back into the wort with a sterilised spoon (without splashing).

You could also check that your brew fridge is actually at 20C and hasn't dropped the temperature lower accidently

I doubt that a normal sort of beer like a Hobgoblin clone is going to worry a steady and go-to yeast like S 04 @ 20C.

For your FG reading - are you de-gassing your sample properly?

This would involve giving the sample couple of good shakes before taking the reading.

Bubbles form very quickly around a hydrometer and give a very false reading (too high) because of that.

Since you have some temp control, I would suggest leaving for 14 days and then taking a de-gassed sample reading.

Back