Lemon wine/ Hooch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pazza

Reaction score
I've done 2 demijohns today to the following recipe:

20 lemons
50g Fresh ginger
1500g Sugar

Zested 10 of the lemons and added zest to a pot with the juice of the 20 lemons, about 1l of water and 50g of finely grated ginger. Warmed it up a bit and added sugar to make a syrup. Meanwhile added 3l of water to each of the demijohns and when the syrup had cooled split it between the 2 then topped up with water and have pitched 5g of yeast into both.
S.G was 1.074 in one and 1.070 in the other. The mix, sampled from the jar tastes amazing. High hopes for this one.
Might keep one DJ as a wine and dilute the other to make a "Hooch". Looking at about 9.7% if it ferments to 1.000 :)

I've done 2 demijohns today to the following recipe:

20 lemons
50g Fresh ginger
1500g Sugar

Zested 10 of the lemons and added zest to a pot with the juice of the 20 lemons, about 1l of water and 50g of finely grated ginger. Warmed it up a bit and added sugar to make a syrup. Meanwhile added 3l of water to each of the demijohns and when the syrup had cooled split it between the 2 then topped up with water and have pitched 5g of yeast into both.
S.G was 1.074 in one and 1.070 in the other. The mix, sampled from the jar tastes amazing. High hopes for this one.
Might keep one DJ as a wine and dilute the other to make a "Hooch". Looking at about 9.7% if it ferments to 1.000 :)

Sounds like a tried n tested recipe to me, recipe of trial and error or someone else's ?

I picture sipping this with clenched cheeks and sucked lips !
Will you sweeten it up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will give it a sample when fermented and then may sweeten with Candarel or similar. Trial jar was super sweet (and lovely) so hop it may hold on to a bit of sweetness.

Update: Just tested and down to .996! giving an approx ABV of 10%.

Bit of advice as I've never done it before please lads, if I want to halve it to make 20l of hooch before bottling (instead of keeping one for a wine) is it as simple as just adding the 2 demijohns plus water to a FV for batch priming? If so how much sugar would you use for the batch prime?

Cheers

Update: Just tested and down to .996! giving an approx ABV of 10%.

Bit of advice as I've never done it before please lads, if I want to halve it to make 20l of hooch before bottling (instead of keeping one for a wine) is it as simple as just adding the 2 demijohns plus water to a FV for batch priming? If so how much sugar would you use for the batch prime?

Cheers

Personally I would take a 500 ml sample and dilute it with 500 ml of water ( this will give you an idea of what it will be like) basically to give it a taste, give it a swirl and taste it, if it tasted like watered down squash add some more lemons n wat not to the FV once you've added the 2 demijohns in to it and add some more sugar to allow it to mellow/mature the new additions and then tast test again in 4 days

I would add a stewed tea to it aswell for tannin :)

Latest posts

Back