Home Brewing Stainless Steel Malt Mill £9:99

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a photo of a 'much' more expensive grain mill so seems suspicious. Unless I have the wrong seller, they have no feedback and have listed 22,000 items all for sale at £9.99 irrespective of actual value...

I hope no-one has followed any links the seller sent them to pay - even if 'apparently' to amazon pages. If so, could be worth checking your actual amazon account to see if it knows of the transaction - as if you pay outside Amazon (knowingly or otherwise) then your money isn't covered by them. If you have given any card or account details it may well not be limited to £9.99 of damage...

In my Amazon app it says I've paid a tenner and it is due to be delivered 16th to 25th August. If it's not as advertised Amazon are pretty good at organising returns/refunds so a pretty safe gamble I'd say. Kinda wishing I hadn't ordered a few!

In my Amazon app it says I've paid a tenner and it is due to be delivered 16th to 25th August. If it's not as advertised Amazon are pretty good at organising returns/refunds so a pretty safe gamble I'd say. Kinda wishing I hadn't ordered a few!

A couple of years back Amazon were advertising, taking money for and giving a delivery date for Graham Wheelers new book. He was telling people on various forums he hadn't written the book yet.
Amazon has been scammed before. Personally if I buy from them I will only use paypal never giving them directly card details.

Personally, I brew my own beer because I don't have sufficient funds to satisfy my thirst by buying it ready made in a pub! :thumb:

Any scammer targetting someone as poor as me must be more optimistic than I am! :doh:
Never met a poor ex HSE person, unless of course it's the ones who've had several wives. Come to think of it, that's just about all of them.

The steps to place an order with a Marketplace Seller are the same as placing any other order at Amazon.co.uk. Amazon will pass your payment to the Seller but never pass along your payment information.

You should never send payment to a Seller except through Amazon. You should regard any request to make a payment outside of Amazon (e.g. Moneygram, Western Union, bank transfer) as fraudulent and*Contact Us*to report the Seller.

If the Seller's items aren't fulfilled by Amazon or dispatched via a Prime delivery method, then your order will be fulfilled directly by the Seller who will also handle all of their customer service. If your Marketplace order is dispatched via an Amazon Prime delivery method, Amazon Customer Service will handle any issues related to the order.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Bloody hell. Was that on here ?

Nope but it was someone who knew it was likely a scam so was very careful in using a credit card that was normally sat in a drawer. The crazy thing is the bank's security did not spot the jump from zero outgoings to 9K in a month or two.

Someone I used to work with was scammed by a fake Amazon market place trader. He lost the money on the goods, and like this grain mill it wasn't expensive, but they then lay dormant for a few months before they started using he's card details. He was lucky the bank spotted it early but he still had a fight to get the money back as he had "volunteered" his details and I'm don't know if he did get it back as he left the firm before it was resolved. Amazon did sweet FA. I hope you all get your mills but personally I would inform your bank and ask them to watch for unusual spending patterns.

It's quite easy to create a fake Amazon site and have the user log into it and renter details if you send them an email about a real order that only the seller would know the details of.

But it is easy to spot the real amazon site, and I did not enter any payment details when making this purchase. It is also covered by amazons a-to-z guarantee.

About A-to-z Guarantee

We want you to buy with confidence anytime you make a purchase on the Amazon.co.uk website or use Amazon Pay; that's why we guarantee purchases from third-party sellers when payment is made via the Amazon.co.uk website or when you use Amazon Pay for qualified purchases on third-party websites. The condition of the item you buy and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee.

This applies to purchases made on the Amazon.co.uk website. For purchases made on third-party websites using Amazon Pay, go to Amazon A-to-z Guarantee on the Amazon Pay Help page.

Customers who pay for purchases from a Marketplace Seller via the Amazon.co.uk website are eligible to receive up to £2,500 of the purchase price, including delivery charges.

For more information on when you can file an A-to-z claim, go to A-to-z Claim Conditions.

Note: If you need help with an item sold by Amazon Global Store, or with a Marketplace item delivered via a Prime delivery method, please Contact Us.

When ordering via Amazon It seems like card details are not passed onto the seller, this is from the Amazon website

The steps to place an order with a third-party seller are the same as placing any other order on Amazon.com. You add items to your cart, then complete your order through the Amazon checkout process. Payment for your order may be processed immediately, instead of when the order is shipped. Amazon will disburse your funds to the third-party seller but never pass along your payment information.

But it is easy to spot the real amazon site, and I did not enter any payment details when making this purchase. It is also covered by amazons a-to-z guarantee.

You misunderstand what I mean. One potential scam, if they don't just take the money and run (they will be long gone before any refund is issued weeks later) is to get you to purchase through the Amazon marketplace, then follow up to you via email; they now have your contact details and the specifics of what you ordered so it is easy to fake an official looking email e.g. asking for a payment revision, you follow the link to a fake Amazon website and now they have your card details for which they may take money form now or wait to really hammer in a couple of months.
You are now NOT covered as Amazon turn around and say that it was not a marketplace transaction. It is a really common scam that hits thousands of people if not more.
If people are lucky on this one they will be losing their money for 4-8 weeks but it could be something nastier.
If people are very lucky then it was a pricing mistake or maybe just maybe there was some liquidated stock but "if it walks like a duck...."

I understand perfectly, that is why my original post contained the amazon advice to not make payments outside of amazon. Yes, very easy to replicate an amazon page, but difficult to interrupt the pathway after officially logging in to amazon.co.uk.

Back