Beer Not coming out of Keg tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way I opened the keg to siphon some beer into bottles There was already 90 gram of sugar in the keg should I put more sugar in the Keg It says in the pamphlet I got with the directors add up to 100g or more like what godsdog says to add

That should all be fine, keep the keg closed - you should have the schrader valve in the lid and digi pressure gauge from Balliihoo? Yes?

If so, make sure the keg is somewhere warmish (19-20°C to carb up), give it a couple of days and take a pressure reading, shoud be building over a week or so to around 6 or 7 psi (makie sure you have the digi gauge set to read in psi).

If the pressure doesn't build then it suggests you have a leak and it won't be carbing up and you will need to investigate some.

I changed my kingkeg lids to Balliihoo lids and have found them to be excellent, very reliable seal and the pressure measuring valve is brill.

Good luck with it.

No you don't as the float inlet sits under the surface of the beer,by taking the lid off the keg he has released the starting build up of CO2 so needs to give it another shot of sugar to compensate this.as he's already done 90 gram initially I would add another 25/30 gram which will help it and not overly affect the taste of the beer,as I said in an earlier post on this thread I have regularly used 140 gram when I had issues with bottled gas with S30 cylinders
Ooo... prepare to be corrected!

Any CO2 that has built up mostly dissolved into the beer anyway. Much of the pressure in the headspace will be restored a few hours after the lid is sealed back on. At this moment (keg full) there is little headspace so little CO2 has been vented.

The inlet may be below the surface of the beer, but the outlet isn't, so a "syphon" can't be set up. When internal pressure drops below what is needed to "lift" the beer that height, the flow stops. If it was a "bottom tap" design the pressure would need to drop further to zero PSI to stop the flow.

Ooo... prepare to be corrected!

Any CO2 that has built up mostly dissolved into the beer anyway. Much of the pressure in the headspace will be restored a few hours after the lid is sealed back on. At this moment (keg full) there is little headspace so little CO2 has been vented.

The inlet may be below the surface of the beer, but the outlet isn't, so a "syphon" can't be set up. When internal pressure drops below what is needed to "lift" the beer that height, the flow stops. If it was a "bottom tap" design the pressure would need to drop further to zero PSI to stop the flow.
The beer isn't pushed above the tap level with the pressure of CO2 the shadow of the beer in the keg will disprove that theory the beer under pressure with CO2 dissolved in it will take the easiest route out the barrel when the tap is opened ie through the float Inlet and tap
Ahh Reading your earlier post again it reads as if you are saying the beer level is raised when in fact you are saying the beer in the float tube is raised

... Ahh Reading your earlier post again it reads as if you are saying the beer level is raised when in fact you are saying the beer in the float tube is raised
Yeap. Can't say I'm comfortable with that language hence the quotes around "lift" second time round ("lift" aint my words). Allows just this sort of misinterpretation.

Another place I came across this recently is: Many folk use 37mbar propane regulators as "breathers" for emulating "cask" beer. But if using a Corny keg upright such a regulator will get beer out to start with, but it will stop when the Corny is half empty. Because 37mbar is only enough pressure to "lift" the beer half the height of a Corny keg (and the outlet is at the top).

"I'm in the middle of my UK Government recommended abstention days ..."

Thats not a serious statement....is it? :eek:
Sorry. More bad choice of wording. This example could get me into awful trouble. "Government dictated abstention days ...". Is that better?

Phew Getting to tech :whistle: Thanks Guys will take your advice and let you know what happens

Im not following..your government suggests/dictates dry spells? Really? For what purpose? (I must be missing something )
I've just noticed your location: Not your Government then!

14 units maximum of alcohol a week, two days a week free of alcohol.

To keep drunks and alcoholics out of NHS hospitals I presume. The money saved can then be wasted somewhere else.

No...not my Government. If mine tried to play nanny to me, there would be brou ha of epic proportions. A) I doubt I could live by those numbers B) My Government hasnt shown enough intellectual savvy for me to trust much of anything they say or do...sheesh...trying to say how much a person can drink in a week...and how many days off as well. Kinda nervy from where I sit.

PS...what constitutes a unit?

Phew Getting to tech :whistle: Thanks Guys will take your advice and let you know what happens
Hoy! You can't just start a thread and expect it not to be hi-jacked by geeks! What is the world coming to? :geek:

You are supposed to say "Thank you o great ones - I'd shake you by the hand but can't climb up that immensely high plinth you're sitting on".

... PS...what constitutes a unit?
Well you should be subjected to all this too! So ...

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcoholic-drinks-units/alcohol-limits-unit-guidelines/

The site (created to keep us Brits in check) doesn't make much of "abstention days", but trying to stay within 14 units a week and not have two, perhaps several, abstention days is going to be pretty tough.

(I've learnt something, I didn't know this "unit" thing is very UK based).

Well you should be subjected to all this too! So ...

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcoholic-drinks-units/alcohol-limits-unit-guidelines/

The site (created to keep us Brits in check) doesn't make much of "abstention days", but trying to stay within 14 units a week and not have two, perhaps several, abstention days is going to be pretty tough.

(I've learnt something, I didn't know this "unit" thing is very UK based).
That's me for an early grave then if its 14 a week,I can triple that easily

Back