bottleing problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnyp

Reaction score
hi guys and gals....all is going well (so far) with my all grain brewing my question is when I bottle my brew I put a scant half a teaspoon of sugar in the bottle I leave it for between four to six weeks,but what I find is out of a five hundred mil bottle after pouring ime getting about three quarters of the contents....so my question is... is there a way of reducing the waste in the bottle or not.......any suggestions would be welcome.......:doh:

If it's chilled the yeast should mostly stick to the bottom, and poured slowly in one action you should get 95% or more out, but others might know more than me though

hi guys and gals....all is going well (so far) with my all grain brewing my question is when I bottle my brew I put a scant half a teaspoon of sugar in the bottle I leave it for between four to six weeks,but what I find is out of a five hundred mil bottle after pouring ime getting about three quarters of the contents....so my question is... is there a way of reducing the waste in the bottle or not.......any suggestions would be welcome.......:doh:

Perhaps you bottled a bit early and the beer was still a bit cloudy?

Otherwise, some yeast strains flocculate poorly - which did you use?

Batch priming is definitely the way, I only use 50-60 g /25litre. I use a bottling bucket so just siphon onto the priming sugar dissolved in boiling water. Some say if you're not using bottling, i.e. just bottling from fermenter then you could add the sugar the day before to let it mix.
Though you're not actually saying in initial post why you only get 3/4 of the bottle, is it over carbonated or too much sediment?

Gervan yeast sticks to the bottom like glue if you've left the bottles for 2 or 3 weeks before drinking. Pour it in a slow steady movement and never tip the bottle upright mid-pour or you might well stir the sediment up. If you've got too much froth in the glass so you can't get it all in in one go then try pouring your beer into a jug, and then fill your glass from the jug.
Don't understand why some are saying batch priming. What has that got to do with anything?

It gives the same amount of sugar to each bottle, a teaspoon/ half teaspoon in each bottle is more liable to fluctuation and possible over carbonation

If you have ended up with a lot of yeast in the bottom of your bottle which gets disturbed on opening you have simply bottled too early. Changing yeast and putting bottles in the fridge will help to avoid churning up the yeast but the real solution imo is to bottle clear or nearly clear beer. This is done by leaving the beer in the FV for at least two weeks before packaging, sometimes nearer three is better. Racking off after the primary has finished, and crash cooling at the end may speed things up. Even though the beer at this stage looks clear it will still have enough yeast to carbonate, it might just take a little longer thats all.

If you have ended up with a lot of yeast in the bottom of your bottle which gets disturbed on opening you have simply bottled too early. Changing yeast and putting bottles in the fridge will help to avoid churning up the yeast but the real solution imo is to bottle clear or nearly clear beer. This is done by leaving the beer in the FV for at least two weeks before packaging, sometimes nearer three is better. Racking off after the primary has finished, and crash cooling at the end may speed things up. Even though the beer at this stage looks clear it will still have enough yeast to carbonate, it might just take a little longer thats all.

all you basically need to know is in the above, i leave in original fv 1 week after ferment out, then rack into another fv for another week then bottle, keeps the bottle filling waste to a minimum and you can drink it quicker because there is less to clear

thanks guys I think terrym has hit the nail on the head I think I bottled to early had loads of sediment in the bottle hence only getting 3/4 of the good stuff !!!!!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back