Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll drink pretty much anything under the right circumstances. Even a mass produced lager can hit the spot if served well on a hot day, and some of the more dull ales still don't offend me unless served poorly.

The only beer that I have ever not finished my first of is Arrogant *******. It's aged in bourbon barrels and it just tasted of bourbon to me, which I don't particularly like. I sort of expected it to be in the background but it wasn't at least to my threshold. I'm sure it's an excellent beer technically and many people would like it but it wasn't for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sad thing is that lot's of commercial brews would be fine if;
1.) The lines had been cleaned and sanitised
2.) The brews delivery temperatures were appropriate
3.) The bar staff actually cared about what they were delivering
4.) Customers had some appreciation of the effort it takes to get the fookin brew in their glass!

Rant over,
(Sit's with a perfect Avalanche 4.5% blonde hopped ale , for QC purposes obviously,,,, )

Output from the North East Brewer Vaux and the ubiquitously badly kept Tetleys that was to be found in the pubs of Middlesborough circa 1980 all served with an inch or 2 of air sat on top of the beer had me drinking bottled beers..
Vaux had a damn odd advertisning campaign at the time, Using Cod face (Gail?) off coronation street bending over a pool table in tight jeans ???

I bought a couple of bottles of gluten free beer from aldi. I can only assume that gluten is the stuff that makes beer taste nice, I was only drawn to the flip top bottles it came in, and that's all I ended up with. One mouthfull for me one for the wife and a litre for the sink.
Not a fan of cloudy wheat beers neither. :sick:
Just found a bottle, it was Brasserie organic, gluten free pale ale; in case anyones tempted.

Last edited:
I'll drink pretty much anything under the right circumstances. Even a mass produced lager can hit the spot if served well on a hot day

I'll second this. I have a soft spot for those little 250ml stubby bottles of generic French lager you can get from the supermarket whenever it gets warm enough for a barbecue. I only drink them once or twice a year but they don't half go down well in the right conditions.

I'll second this. I have a soft spot for those little 250ml stubby bottles of generic French lager you can get from the supermarket whenever it gets warm enough for a barbecue. I only drink them once or twice a year but they don't half go down well in the right conditions.

The great thing about them is they don't have time to get cold before they are gone.

I am not fussy when it comes to anything in life but I will always refuse a pint of Beck's.
I also struggled to get through a pint of Brooklyn Lager (I was on my stag do as well...) but speaking to a friend who works for another american brewery he said it was probably just too old. so will give it another try in the future.

Wheat beer.
Vomit inducing slop!

Seen few posts on here about people brewing a wheat beer so decided to pick up a bottle of Munich wheat beer from Bier House (local speciality beer shop) after he recommended it as a good one. Thinking if it's nice I might have a go at one.
Blurgh. Just plain nasty.

People that brew this on purpos are just nasty. Dirty beasts

Wheat beer.
Vomit inducing slop!

Seen few posts on here about people brewing a wheat beer so decided to pick up a bottle of Munich wheat beer from Bier House (local speciality beer shop) after he recommended it as a good one. Thinking if it's nice I might have a go at one.
Blurgh. Just plain nasty.

People that brew this on purpos are just nasty. Dirty beasts

As I have consistently pointed out, wheat has no place in beer - but some folk won't have it. They must be bored to the point of wrecking what they could have had without wheat.

I quite like a nice wheat beer on a hot summer afternoon....fizzy and refreshing with subtle clove and banana esters...my American wheat is really nice...crisp,unusually crystal clear with a delightful bubble gum lemon candy finish...

As I have consistently pointed out, wheat has no place in beer - but some folk won't have it. They must be bored to the point of wrecking what they could have had without wheat.

I have just added some blackberries to my first ever wheat beer. :thumb:

If someone can just wake me up in a month or so, as it is first ready to drink, I may be able to make some sort of informed comment on this subject.

As 2.5kg of blackberries take some picking and wheat malt in quantity also represents a fair commitment, I am very interested in this particular line of discussion.

I quite like a nice wheat beer on a hot summer afternoon....fizzy and refreshing with subtle clove and banana esters...my American wheat is really nice...crisp,unusually crystal clear with a delightful bubble gum lemon candy finish...

Sounds like a packet of Spangles!

I have just added some blackberries to my first ever wheat beer. :thumb:

If someone can just wake me up in a month or so, as it is first ready to drink, I may be able to make some sort of informed comment on this subject.

As 2.5kg of blackberries take some picking and wheat malt in quantity also represents a fair commitment, I am very interested in this particular line of discussion.
Going to do one myself at some point. Have so many berries in the freezer to get through!.

As a newbie back in march, i saw this and i was drawn to find and brew this kit, temperature was kept at around 21/22, after about 4 months in the bottle it is terrible :lol: the oak chips have soured it beyond my taste! first time i have considered just decapping and pouring down the Lav! but i will save at least one as the brother in law is coming over from Croatia for Xmas :lol:

All i can repeat is Terrible terrible terrible.

:doh:

I really hate the less well researched 'new wave' trendy beers with fruit and other adjuncts,,,,,
It just seems a desperate promo orientated stab at headlines without any thought about the brew flavour.

But,,, :whistle: Say's he, awaiting some Tiree Honey and Heather flowers to create Samhuinn a 7.5% warm winter brew.

Looking for something like Yates Bees Knees with heather and more Oooomph!

better have a word with erding & schneider & sohn breweries amongst others then and tell them they are doing it wrong. :grin:

Gunge vs Germany. Just don't expect Theresa may to lead us into ww III over wheat beer... :rofl:

better have a word with erding & schneider & sohn breweries amongst others then and tell them they are doing it wrong. :grin:

Gunge vs Germany. Just don't expect Theresa may to lead us into ww III over wheat beer... :rofl:

They are doing it wrong. It might be something that some people like to drink - fair enough - but it ain't 'beer'. All this diversity is doing my nut. Do they make pianos as well?

They are doing it wrong. It might be something that some people like to drink - fair enough - but it ain't 'beer'. All this diversity is doing my nut. Do they make pianos as well?

I dunno, I wouldn't want to drink one of their pianos, for sure. I do like diversity, it would soon get boring if you only had one type of beer to drink. I find my beer and music preferences change with the seasons. More wheats in summer, more dark beers in winter and always a hoppy beer in the fridge.

If I had to choose another country to live in apart from my favorites i'd choose Germany over the Czech Republic because of the bigger variety of beer there.

Latest posts

Back