Your first ever AG brew, and how was it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this was back before i had a brew book... and it was either 100% satisfaction, or Styrian Stunner... i cant remember... and it got infected before i had a chance to try it :(

As posted in Brewdays, Coniston Bluebird with a bit of Chinook. It didn't make the brew length volume, didn't clear quite properly but tasted v good. I put a dozen bottles out to mates for comment and apart from some saying it was flat they enjoyed the flavour. The cornied stuff was OK.

Still a lot of room for improvement :pray: but learning all the time.

Dave Line - Abbott Ale . . . Ever Mashed without a Thermometer?

Well that is what your elbow is for ;)

Actually turned out drinkable

mashing with a thermometer :shock: jesus

i've done a brew without a hydrometer... but fortunately i've got an eye for the colour of run off and knew whereabouts i should stop sparging... but mashing without a thermometer is nuts! :cool:

First AG was easy really. I did a simple pale ale. It tasted fine but had no head whatsoever. None. Even when i poured a bit in a bottle and gave it a good shake it still didn't produce a head. Now all my beers have lots of head, slightly too much in some occasions. :roll:

But it got me and i turned to the dark side and have never looked back. :cool:

MEB said:
First AG was easy really. I did a simple pale ale. It tasted fine but had no head whatsoever. None. Even when i poured a bit in a bottle and gave it a good shake it still didn't produce a head. Now all my beers have lots of head, slightly too much in some occasions. :roll:

You can't get enough head MEB :lol: :lol:

Aleman said:
Dave Line - Abbott Ale . . . Ever Mashed without a Thermometer?

This could be an urban legend however I've heard that if you look into your kettle when the water is cooling down you can dough in when your reflection becomes visible.

On topic, my first brew was Barefoot Bitter a 1.050 monster with fuggles and goldings which I did after being taunted from the dark side by two forum members, I'm mentioning no names though :lol:

A T said:
MEB said:

:lol:

They reckon that anything more than a mouthful's wasted though ;)

From memory I did Cresta Pale Ale from the Big Book Of Brewing. Not sure where I went wrong but it turned out about 2.5%abv. It looked like beer though and, as it was my first AG, there was no way I was going to chuck it away. Mind you, there was no way I was going to get drunk either.

Did a Samuel Smiths Bitter from GW's book. Tasted OK but was flat as a pancake.

Kingfisher said:
A T said:
MEB said:

:lol:

They reckon that anything more than a mouthful's wasted though ;)

I know a girl :roll:

Latest posts

Back