Raspberry Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abiruth

Reaction score
I struggled to find and easy raspberry wine recipe that didn't involve days of prep and boiling water so I came up with the following using bits and pieces from other country wine recipes. Apologies if there's anything similar on already no overstepping intended.

Ingredients
1.5kg Frozen raspberries (£2.67/500g from Lidl)
1.3kg sugar
220g White grape juice concentrate (I used the small wilkos ones)
1tsp citric acid
2tsp pectolase
1 sachet Wine yeast
1tsp (or sachet) Wine nutrient
Water to 4.5ltrs

*Place the raspberries in a large pan/bowl/stockpot and cover with the sugar. Leave covered for 24-48hrs. I left for 24ish and I'm happy with the results but most folks recommend longer to extract more juice.

*Sieve the resulting mush placing the syrup in the demijohn and disposing of the seeds and pulp.

*Add the grape juice concentrate, pectolase and citric acid to the demijohn and top up to 4.5ltrs with water. Now add yeast and yeast nutrient (assuming the water was room temperature, if not wait till it is)

*As this recipe puts everything together quite quickly you'll probably still get a bit of the old pectin haze, giving the impression a pregnant frog has spawned in your DJ. As we've added the pectolase this should disappear after a few days.

*I had a pretty huge yeasty layer on my wine so don't worry if that happens to you. On day 10 fermenting had nearly stopped so I racked. Then the next day I stabilised and degassed. The day after I added finings. After a week of clearing, I popped the DJ in my wine cooler (10oC) for another week, then bottled.
I can't believe how nice the wine tastes already. It's like a really good white/rose wine with a really fruity smell and taste. Oh and it came out at about 9.5% which I'm happy with.

Anyway I hope this is some use to someone. I plan to use the same recipe for a rhubarb batch.

have you checked the raspberryade topic? might be a good idea for an easy brew. not sure how winey it is though. if you want to skip the first two days, you could pour over 2 kettles of boiling water, mush it up good and just strain it off after a few days fermenting on the pulp.

hope it's good! :cheers:

RobWalker said:
have you checked the raspberryade topic? might be a good idea for an easy brew. not sure how winey it is though. if you want to skip the first two days, you could pour over 2 kettles of boiling water, mush it up good and just strain it off after a few days fermenting on the pulp.

Hi Rob,

Thanks yes I've been and bought a couple of bottles of Lowicz Malina :grin: :grin: Can't wait to have a go at a sparkling wine. Yep good idea about the water. I think what put me off at first was that I was hoping to make it without using pectolase (cos I didn't have any), and folks seemed to say they had more pectin issues when using boiling water. Turns out it still went all frogs spawny so I had to go buy some! Anyway it tastes great so I'm happy for now. I do tend to be a bit impatient when I want to make something so I might try it next time :)

:drink:

Latest posts

Back